FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Miniature Marshmallows for Carp  (Read 16519 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Miniature Marshmallows for Carp
« on: Apr 12, 2005, 04:30 PM »
Hi carp anglers, I have a question for you. Have any of you ever tried miniature marshmallows on their hair rigs before? From what I have read on here and in other articles I think it should work well. I know carp have a sweet tooth, as some angles add sugar and sweeteners to there bole's and corn. Miniature marshmallows are naturally sweet and do come in a variety of colors, as a added bonus they would float the hair rig.
For this type of bait what would you recommend as a chum? :unsure: :)

Water Wolf
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Miniature Marshmallows for Carp
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2005, 05:31 PM »
they should work...i would just chum corn or cereal flakes.

wigen

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2005, 01:10 PM »
Hi carp anglers, I have a question for you. Have any of you ever tried miniature marshmallows on their hair rigs before? From what I have read on here and in other articles I think it should work well. I know carp have a sweet tooth, as some angles add sugar and sweeteners to there bole's and corn. Miniature marshmallows are naturally sweet and do come in a variety of colors, as a added bonus they would float the hair rig.
For this type of bait what would you recommend as a chum? :unsure: :)

Water Wolf
im sure it will work, ive had the best luck on yellow sweet corn always salted, i caught about 80 carp last year all on sweet corn, easy to chum, inexpensive, and if you get hungry you have lunch. people try all kinds of bait for carp, as far as i can tell nothing outfishes corn, if you are going to chum corn try the white kind to match the marshmello colors, good luck, and hold your pole tight, i lost 3 ploes last year

buzzbomb

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2005, 08:48 AM »
They'll take marshmallows, my friend uses them to pop up his hair rigs.  He uses both the cheap flavoured ones and the fancy ones they make for trout fishing with the glitter coating.  If you don't have a bait-runner type reel you can just open the bail on your spinning reel and tuck the line under a rubber band either on the rod or on a bank-stick (rod rest) if you use one to keep the line from falling off the spool. This method might be better if you're using a bolt rig rather than a straight running ledger since there's a little resistance from the line pulling out from under the elastic.  If I'm fishing at night and think I might fall asleep and not notice a take and get spooled I'll hook a bungee cord around the foot of my reel and hook the other end around the rod rest.  It's not fool proof but I think it might give me a chance to save my gear sometime.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2005, 05:49 PM »
buzzbomb, its amazing how hard carp will run when the get pricked with the bolt rig.  Gotta have the rod pod or holders secure, and the rods in place, or else with out warning it will just disappear in a big splash  :pinch:

buzzbomb

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2005, 07:26 PM »
 I don't use the bolt rig myself, but I've heard it works well. Even the little carp can put on an impressive burst of speed and it doesn't take a bolt rig to get them going either! :D 
I swiped a couple of pics of rigs.....don't have the 'paintbrush' thing but I'm going to get it soon.  The one with the corn is like the way you'd use a marshmallow.   

Water Wolf

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 11:24 PM »
buzzbomb, what rig do you perfer to use for carp? if I may ask, I am still new to carp fishing and don't know all the rigs yet. :laugh:

WW

buzzbomb

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 06:49 AM »
I use a standard 'running ledger' rig, which is just a hair rig tied to a swivel with my sinker on the rod side.  The fish can take the bait and go with it just like with a lindy type set up.  A plastic lead clip, or clevis helps keep the weight sliding freely.  With the bolt rig, the lead is fixed so the fish gets hooked as soon as he moves, and with the semi-fixed bolt rig, there's a rubber bead on the hooklink (that's the piece of rig between the hook and swivel) about 2" before the swivel, which is supposed to startle the fish so it bolts and then gets hooked when the swivel hits the lead. I'll try to hyperlink a rig page here;
 http://www.carpuniverse.com/frames_site_navigation_pages/methods2.html 
It didn't work, but you should be able to get it by typing it in  . 

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
Derek

buzzbomb

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 07:41 AM »
http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/hairandboltrig.html
http://www.americancarpsociety.com:8080/ACS/cypr_3carpcare.jsp
I'll try to post a couple of links here, one on rigs and one on catch and release methods for carp.

Water Wolf

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 01:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. :)
Buzzbomb, I know there are lots of lunker carp in Long Lake, do you know if they also inhabit the Qu'Appelle river system south of Southey? I have always wondered about that river but never tried it.

WW

buzzbomb

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 08:43 AM »
As far as I know they're in the whole system......how long it takes them to get that far down the river and how long they stay before heading back to Last Mtn or Pasqua for the winter is a good question. ???  I guess you'd have to pick a calm day and take a walk along some carpy looking stretches and look for muddy clouds along the banks or carp jumping.  I'm only actually fishing a few klicks of the river but there's gotta be 100 miles of easy access river between Craven and Pasqua Lake.   When they go north to have access to the deeper water, so do I. :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.