FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: All power boats operators in NY will need safety course by 2025  (Read 15583 times)

BiteMe

I lost my certificate from taking the course in the 60's. It better be online for free Andy.

https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/2019/08/all-ny-operators-of-power-boats-will-need-safety-course-by-2025.html

Fishy, Fishy in the lake, please come here and take my bait. I troll and jig you take my hook, and then I take you home to cook.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
i'm going to  hold  out on taking it  at my  age  and  the  national  average  life  expectance   it's a  50  50  I make  it  ....no  since in taking it if  I  ain't  going to  need  it in the here after .......
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

greensider

I took an 8week course years ago

greensider

A million boaters at 30 each that's the reason for the law not safety

filetandrelease

A million boaters at 30 each that's the reason for the law not safety
X2 if they were so concerned it would be free online  , , if I’m not mistaken 78 % of boating accidents are alcohol related , take that out and what’s left ,

You have to take test to get a drivers license , but that doesn’t stop drunk driving , speeders , etc ,
  And If take their exam will that make everyone adhere to all the rules ,
  I don’t have an issue with a course , , just like all boats under 21’ have to wear life vests part of the year , bet the govs  boat is over 😉 , like nobody ever fell off a boat that’s longer 🤪

big_guy_13021

I've had mine for a while now so I'm good

Frankie Bags

X2 if they were so concerned it would be free online  , , if I’m not mistaken 70+ % boating accidents are alcohol related , take that out and what’s left ,
 Hope that includes boat rentals , Kayaks and wet bikes
You’re 100% correct. I’m not sure if the course would have helped this boater. I'm not against taking the course but it should be free. We already pay enough to enjoy our time on the water.

http://www.timesobserver.com/news/local-news/2019/08/boat-crash-in-irving-ny/

myemmy

Residents for free there is one  for free online boat usa

filetandrelease

Residents for free there is one  for free online boat usa
But will it be recognized by the state of N.Y. in place of the 1 the gov is giving

SSmokinn SS

Re: All power boats operators in NY will need safety course by 2025
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2019, 07:49 PM »
I was told by a sheriff patrolling the lake that it will be needed by the end of next year... not true?

BiteMe

« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2019, 07:59 PM »
I was told by a sheriff patrolling the lake that it will be needed by the end of next year... not true?
[/quote

Under the 5-year, phase-in plan, all motor boat operators born on or after Jan. 1, 1993 must complete a safety course to operate a motor boat beginning in 2020.

Those born after Jan. 1, 1988 must complete a safety course beginning in 2022. Those born on or after Jan. 1, 1983 must complete a safety course beginning in 2023. Those born on or after Jan. 1, 1978 must complete a safety course beginning in 2024.

The requirement would extend to all motor boat operators beginning in 2025, regardless of age.

Failure to comply could result in a fine of between $100 and $250.
Fishy, Fishy in the lake, please come here and take my bait. I troll and jig you take my hook, and then I take you home to cook.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2019, 08:45 PM »
i'm going to  hold  out on taking it  at my  age  and  the  national  average  life  expectance   it's a  50  50  I make  it  ....no  since in taking it if  I  ain't  going to  need  it in the here after .......
Trapp...I said the same thing....I'll wait til 2025...it'd be a waste of time if I kick the bucket before that....I wonder if the 20yrs I spent in the coast guard running small boats,  gun boats, 30-44'era as a coxswain would help me pass the course?
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2019, 09:20 PM »
Looks like I have until 2023 🤣

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Aug 08, 2019, 03:01 AM »
I'll sell the boat before I'll pay $30 for a course I took more than 50 years ago.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.