FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What sized Muskie is a good eater?  (Read 12543 times)

NormS

Re: What sized Muskie is a good eater?
« Reply #15 on: Aug 09, 2005, 08:41 PM »
Yes, when the forage base gets depleted enough, the muskies as well as other gamefish will look for other food sources including smaller muskies. Sounds like a situation where there may be a combination of things going on including over harvesting of desirable "eating" gamefish ie: Walleye and Pike, a natural or man made decline in the forage base, overstocking ect.. I can sure think of many worse situations, If it were a Lake by me I would most certainly target Muskies 100% of my time on that water and still practice C&R. The truth be known is that Muskies get a bad rap for depleting other gamefish when the fact is Walleye, Pike and even Bass eat Gamefish as well (smaller size but in greater numbers). Most of the time when a lake shows a depletion of gamefish overharvesting or some other man made or natural problem is the culprit, not the Muskie population. Would sure love to make a trip up and fish that lake sometime, but definately wont eat any Muskies. You can also present the issue with your Div of fish and game, here in NJ I only notice the Pickerel population taking a hit where Muskies are stocked. Muskies dont eat them all (maybe some) they compete for the same habitats and lose after a number of years.
Good Fishing.
Norm

TJ Bauer

• LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #16 on: Aug 09, 2005, 10:50 PM »
I agree with alot that you are saying it seams like it is the muskies taking over but since the lake has became the best muskie lake in southern minnesota fishing pressure has become just terrible and the thing is if you do not know how to fish for a muskie it is a very high chance that you will never catch one and fishing the way you would nomally fish will catch walleyes bass and pike which then takes fish out of the lake. But it makes you think how many fish have they eaten I know they will eat fish have thier size and when the average fish is 40 inches there is alot of fish half thier size. Also not knowing what a muskie looks like is a big deal there is alot of people that do not know.  I used to work at a resort on the lake and I cannot even count how many times people would come in and say "look at the big pike I caught" and it would be a muskie so many time they do not live. In the lake I can say for sure I have seen fish that were 60 inches long easy. and thats no joke my Brother caught 1 it was 51.5 inches and 34 lbs and a buddy of mine caught 1 last year and that was 54 inches and about 40lbs. 

wallydouche

• when there on there on
« Reply #17 on: Apr 27, 2010, 06:19 PM »
cpr all the way   many anglers keep muskie that dont fish for them or that hate to have them in there lakes so they kill them.   its like that everywhere.  shouldnt have to worry about any over population. ;D

muskymagic

• Northernnyice on iceshanty.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Muskies dont really disturb native fish populations like some may think...Its actually been proven that often times when muskies thrive, so do walleyes. Bass too in similar situations. They grow and develope so slow...there such a sufisticated species.. We will never have to worry about them "overpopulating" any body of water..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.