FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jig/Lure Making  (Read 20962 times)

OTIS

Jig/Lure Making
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:29 AM »
Is there a thread here on this topic?  I know there was one on IS.  If there isn't could the Mods create one for us?  I have a lot of experience from years ago making jigs, and I would like to start doing this on my own again.  I'm looking for the best (cheapest) places to purchase supplies, hooks, molds, a melting pot, etc...  I am also interested in custom molds, and how to make them.  I'll be starting from scratch so any information would be appreciated.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
Re: Jig/Lure Making
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 09:56 AM »
Great thread OTIS I would like to see some info posted on that too.  I make my own harnesses and in line spinners.
I know theres not much to them but its way better than buying them in the store.  Plus the gratification you get from catching a fish on something you made.

Still haven't killed a buck yet with my homemade maxi balls.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

hookemandcookem

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:16 PM »
Hey OTIS, I did some searching for you and I found a great site for you that has everything tou need to make anything you need. It has the molds to make jig heads, weedless jig heads, lures, sinkers, and special purpose. It even has all the accessories to make the lures as well: hooks, weed guards, wire forms, and a lot more....Let me know what you think and how you like it.

Hope this helps anyone looking for these items

HookemandCookem
HookemandCookem

OTIS

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 12:34 PM »
Thanks.  I've done a little research and found a couple sites with the essential supplies.  I'm thinking that I'll need a melting pot, a mold or two, hooks, paint, bucktails/flashabou, thread, brushes, and sealer/cement.  Any input on the following research would be appreciated.

Melting Pot:
I'm kinda leaning towards the Lee Production Pot IV.

Molds:
I'm thinking of starting out with a walleye and a round jig head mold.

Hooks:
They are cheaper by the 1000 pack, but I'll have to research what sizes to start out with.

Paint:
I like the powder paint but I'm not sure how easy that is to use, or if I'll need to purchase the paint bath applicator to use it successfully.  Vinyl paint would be my other option, but I'm not sure what direction to start out in yet.

Head Cement:
I know that I need it, but I'm not sure what kind to get.

Am I missing anything?
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

hookemandcookem

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 12:37 PM »
Im not into the lure making myself, but a guy up the street from me a long time ago used to do it. From what I remember it looks like you have your grounds pretty well covered all you have to do now is pick what works better for you.

HookemandCookem
HookemandCookem

oldken

• oldken
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 07:01 PM »
try jans netcraft  they have about everything you need to make all sorts of jigs they have all sorts of molds old ken.    e mail at www.jannsnetcraft.com  i'm sure they can help you

seaweed01

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 09:54 PM »

Do-it corp is also a good place to buy just about anything you would or will need.   www.do-itmolds.com
I have ordered from their cataloge many times.

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:50 PM »
Hey OTIS, I did some searching for you and I found a great site for you that has everything tou need to make anything you need. It has the molds to make jig heads, weedless jig heads, lures, sinkers, and special purpose. It even has all the accessories to make the lures as well: hooks, weed guards, wire forms, and a lot more....Let me know what you think and how you like it.

Hope this helps anyone looking for these items

HookemandCookem

Great thread OTIS.........uh, what's that site?

fishfearme

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 09:43 AM »
Thanks.  I've done a little research and found a couple sites with the essential supplies.  I'm thinking that I'll need a melting pot, a mold or two, hooks, paint, bucktails/flashabou, thread, brushes, and sealer/cement.  Any input on the following research would be appreciated.

Melting Pot:
I'm kinda leaning towards the Lee Production Pot IV.

Molds:
I'm thinking of starting out with a walleye and a round jig head mold.

Hooks:
They are cheaper by the 1000 pack, but I'll have to research what sizes to start out with.

Paint:
I like the powder paint but I'm not sure how easy that is to use, or if I'll need to purchase the paint bath applicator to use it successfully.  Vinyl paint would be my other option, but I'm not sure what direction to start out in yet.

Head Cement:
I know that I need it, but I'm not sure what kind to get.

Am I missing anything?

Otis
your on the right track.I started making jigs a while back and my own split shot now that you can not buy lead ones anymore.

I have the Lee IV it works perfect for me.Heats quickly and is not to combersome to handle.

As for molds I love the walleye jig mold with a collar instead of a barb.(I make buck tail jigs,the collar holds the hair on better and sort of "flairs" it out some making better looking jigs.where as the barbed jigs are good for live bait or plastics.) I also have the wobble jig.this one is nice too.it is a slower falling jig and wobbles back and forth as it sinks.It took a bit for me to use them with confidence but that easily subsides when the fish start hitting

Hooks are easy.when you buy a mold it will tell you what size hooks to use depending on what size jigs you make.Most of my fishing is in Oneida lake.So i mainly make two sizes.1/4 oz. for most of the lake and 3/8 oz. for deeper parts.i am pretty sure(i just moved so they are packed for short time.so I can look and make sure later) I use 1/0 and 2/0 hook sizes.

Powder paint is the way to go.nice even full coat first try.You heat the jig head with a propane torch(low heat) or a lighter and quickly dip it the powder and remove quickly.the powder then melts to coat the jig head.You can then bake them in the oven hanging of one of the racks to make make a rock solid coating.directions are on the jars.i buy mine at gander mountain.

head cement is pretty basic I buy the stuff in small jars in the fly tying department.

the only things you need are buck tails or whatever you are using to tie.and the thread.this is where the fun is choosing different color patterns.

good luck i have had a lot of fun making them.I also use more buck tail hair on my jigs than the ones you buy making them fuller looking.This has really helped the fishing.I catch more on my own jigs than the ones from the store.Maybe its a confidence thing or the pride of using and catching on my own work.Either way its great.Have fun and good luck.
I am not sure how far you live from Syracuse,but I get most of my supplies from   Mickey's Live Bait & Tackle
715 South Bay Road
Syracuse, NY  13212    They have a great selection.

Dave

d_balm24

• WORK is for people who don't know how to FISH.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 09:48 AM »
Do-it corp is also a good place to buy just about anything you would or will need.   www.do-itmolds.com
I have ordered from their cataloge many times.
That's where I get all my supplies from.Never had any problems.

jp

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 11:26 AM »
I have made my own jigs for a few years now. mostly ice jigs but am starting to work on some bigger molds.  I like making them and catching fish on my own designs. I have used janns netcraft for all my supplies and have not had a problem.

Jeremy

bobberstop

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 11:38 AM »
Heres a few i made.

Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

fishboy

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 11:43 AM »
Otis  

The first thing you should do is call me I have a few molds you can borrow otherwise you should call your buddy in Canastota.  you know which one I speak of.  He's got all the bucktails you could need, Gander has a great supply of tying materials for calf tails and thread,  Hooks, probably you need to order them but Bass pro has a very nice assortment.  Head cement: buy a few bottles of cheap clear nail polish at the dollar store, it works just as good and it dries faster and is cheaper than head cement.  If you want we can hook up for a day and pour a bunch.  I find it works great to trade molds, tails and stuff cause you'll never use all of a tail and if you swap out a little of this for a little of that you can increase your supplies with much less cost.  

T
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

OTIS

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Cool, thanks for the info.  Janns Netcraft seems like the place to get supplies.  I think I'm going to order the basics and go from there.  T, I'll let you know when I get an order in and we can hook up and swap molds and stuff.  I used to tie for your buddy in Canastota, that's where I learned the basics.  I was thinking of stopping by and seeing what he's up to.

A couple questions;

1) With the powder paint, do you just dip the hot jig into the jar?  Wouldn't that cause the powder around the jig to clump?

2) Can anyone recommend other places to order from besides than Janns Netcraft?

Thanks

Flash_King

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 03:52 PM »
The times that I have tried to order from Janns - many items I wanted were either out of stock or back ordered. For the past 6 years all my business goes to www.Staminainc.com. for volume ordering(Late winter-getting supplies for the upcoming season) through the internet I can get FREE shipping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.