FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pumping leadcore or copper  (Read 3503 times)

canoefisher

Pumping leadcore or copper
« on: Jun 04, 2006, 11:44 AM »
I've tried this but haven't been successful.  Can anyone give me hints on techniques, tackle, etc.

troutman

Re: Pumping leadcore or copper
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Forgot the leadcore it’s to soft it will break. Copper what’s you need. It’s not pumping its called jerking. You can jerk it two ways. Use a stiff heavy action rod with a large capacity reel to wind the copper up, or hand line it with a victrola. How to fish it let out the amount of line you need to get to the bottom. Your lure can be anything. I use spoons. Once you get to the bottom you can feel the spoon tick the bottom just give it a slow jerk and take up the slack copper and set the depth you want. A roll of copper comes in 600’ when you get a fish on you can play it by hand winding the copper on a victrola or use your rod and reel.
Ray

canoefisher

« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2006, 07:30 PM »
Thanks, how much leader and what test do you use? How fast do you go?  I've trolled at 1 -2 mph and also just drifted.  I have had problems telling if I am on the bottom.  Does it feel like a light snag?  I have also used copper.

troutman

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:31 PM »
I don’t use a leader. I connect the spoon from the copper with a snap swivel. For you I would stick with a leader to you get the hang of it, Leader about 6’ 30lb test extra tough line. Reason I don’t like a leader you loose too many spoons because the rocks on the bottom of lake cut the leader up. Rocks can’t cut the copper up. Troll slow, 2mph is too fast. You can drift too if the wind is right. You want the lure on the bottom not off the bottom. If you feel your spoon ticking you have it right. Jerk your copper back and forth bouncing your spoon off the bottom with your hand or rod. You will know if you have too much copper out. The spoon will dig in. Sutton makes a good jerking spoon. Those nks work well too. If you need a victrola try Seneca marine on the south end of Seneca Lake he might have one for you. He should have the copper too; if not baries bait tackle will have it. She’s located in waterloo on 5/20 good luck copper is a lot of fun but a lot of work too. I don’t do much of it anymore. It’s too tough on my shoulders. If you want lake trout good cheap way to catch a few. About 350’ of copper will get you down 90’ at 1 mph.
Ray

canoefisher

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Thanks Troutman.  I'll give it a whirl.  What's the deepest you can effectively go with this approach?

troutman

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2006, 06:21 PM »
Most guys pull copper from 30 to 90’
Ray

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2006, 01:51 PM »
Troutman:

Thanks for the information.  Very concise overview of this technique.  I too have been interested in gaining some knowledge on Jerking Copper but have had difficulty in getting straight advice.  Sounds like you know your business with this technique.  As far as locating the copper wire and the reel, I am not familiar with your sources.  Can you advise of a dealer/catalog/internet source of these items?  I am located in Putnam County NY.  To date, I have never come across these items.  Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks- Mike

troutman

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2006, 03:50 PM »
I don’t know ware you can find a victrolla anymore. I did see one at Seneca marine a year ago. He bought them from an old timer from Penn yan ny. Seneca marine will have the copper. Barry’s bait and tackle will have the copper too. You want 21 gauge to pull copper. Get the single strand not the braid. Another option you have over using a victrola, get a Riviera hand line reel from the offshoretackle company. This reel will hold 300’ of 21 gauge copper. It’s an excellent reel to hand line with. Most of the guys use wire with it but it works well with copper too.

Barry’s bait 315 539 5341
Seneca marine 607 535 6690
http://www.offshoretackle.com/
Ray

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.