FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Keeping size?  (Read 11622 times)

busler15

Keeping size?
« on: Jun 23, 2006, 01:44 PM »
Ive never fished for bluegill's before, for i thought they were a useless fish! I am able to catch them by the dozen off my dock, but these are tiny! What is a good "keeping" size for bluegill. Ive heard six inches and above will get you a good meal, but I havent cleaned them yet so I do not know. Also, where should I fish for what i hear are "bull" gills. All ive ever seen out of my lake are under six inches, but Ive seen a few nice ones, although ive never really looked.
Any help would be great! Thanks, Spencer

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Keeping size?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2006, 02:17 PM »
I keep 'gills only 8" or better.  Thats my rule of thumb.

For bigger gills, fish the deepest weeds you can find.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2006, 04:57 PM »
it depends how hungry you are  ;D

in my opinion, it is how skilled you are at cleaning them. If you can get good meat off of them, keep the 5, 6 inchers. Im your not as hot, keep the bigger ones that are easier to fillet 7+

Fishing is life

MIRC!

backatit

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2006, 09:23 AM »
Some times it comes down to how large a lake/pond you are fishing and the population of gills.  If there are a lot of small gills and not many "bulls" it is probably overpopulated.  In this case keeping the smaller ones and throwing back the bigger ones thins out the population and reduces the fight for food.  Eventually the smalls ones get bigger due to a better food source ;)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2006, 09:58 AM »
I usually wait untill I get a few big ones, in the 7+ range, once I have a couple of those, I then start to keep the odd 5-6 inch gills

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2006, 11:53 AM »
If I can filet it I'll keep it.  I've never really measured them when I keep them.  Pretty much just a judgement call.

You won't be calling them useless once you have a meal of them.  They are very tasty.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2006, 01:30 PM »
I wouldn't keep anything under 6" or you'll hate yourself when you fillet them. If you plan on cooking them whole, then its a different story. But I mostly put 7-8" in the bucket and let the bigger fish go. 

A bull (to me anyway) is male gill that has developed a pronounced hump on his forhead, when this occurs, this fish is all the bigger its going to get. If you catch a lot of say 6-7" fish that have this hump, I'd say your looking a poor genitics or overcrowding, in which case take the smaller fish and let the 8's and up go.

Fish-trap

« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2006, 03:10 PM »
I don't like fileting the little ones, so usually 8 inches or better for me. However if you are only catching smaller ones, 6-7's will do fine with enough of them.
Can't catch a fish without a line in the water....

spoonfed

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2006, 04:54 PM »
 the size of your hand.  if you lay it in your hand and you don't see your hand     keeper.  which for most thats right around 7".

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2006, 05:00 PM »
If I can filet it I'll keep it.  I've never really measured them when I keep them.  Pretty much just a judgement call.

You won't be calling them useless once you have a meal of them.  They are very tasty.

Ditto

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2006, 10:12 AM »
yep. if i can hold it in my hand...and the head and tail hang over, it gets eaten

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 03, 2006, 06:06 PM »
I always try to put the biggest ones back and eat the moderate sized ones.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jul 04, 2006, 08:18 PM »
if I can wrap my thumb around to my middle finger it goes back, it the thumb and finger don't touch, I eat. filleting can take a while, but work = reward

Mike

joejv4

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 01:01 PM »
If you fillet them, 7" or bigger.
Smaller ones you scale, behead, and gut. But that's only if you don't mind picking around bones after you fry them up.
Gone fishin'

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 01:05 PM »
I only keep Panfish if they are 16" or bigger.............Just kidding..7" unless I am averaging 8"er's on certtain bodies of water.
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.