FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing with wire  (Read 2887 times)

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
Fishing with wire
« on: Jul 12, 2006, 07:42 AM »
A few years ago I picked up a rod with rollers and a pulley tip (I'm sure it has a proper name) and a huge Penn reel spooled up with what I believe is stainless steel wire  at a garage sale for $2.  Had no idea that I might actually use the thing.  With all this info I'm learning on MFF and IS I'm thinking that maybe I could put it to use.

OK, you guys who troll with wire-------what do I do with this thing?

SEADUCKTION

Re: Fishing with wire
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2006, 09:46 AM »
Wire is another tool used for trolling. It is mainly used to get your presentation deeper than mono. We use it up on the big lake for Dipseys, and Thumper rigs. If you are going to be fishing Oneida, there might be a real big avantage to using it there. You can get as deep on that lake with braids and the use of dipsey also. You could set it up to run a dipsey andthen you could try putting a light flutter type spoon or a Michigan Stinger behind it on a 7' leader. Usually it is a 1:3 ratio as far as depth is concerned with a big dipsey. That is 1 foot down with 3 feet out. Good Luck, just another good tool to add.
 Rich

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2006, 05:07 PM »
bwalleye,

Look at those sites I gave you yesterday. They have all sorts of info on wire dipsy rigs.  You can also use it like leadcore with drop weights.

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2006, 03:20 PM »
A few years ago I picked up a rod with rollers and a pulley tip (I'm sure it has a proper name) and a huge Penn reel spooled up with what I believe is stainless steel wire  at a garage sale for $2.  Had no idea that I might actually use the thing.  With all this info I'm learning on MFF and IS I'm thinking that maybe I could put it to use.

OK, you guys who troll with wire-------what do I do with this thing?

sell it to me for 4 bucks...then you doubled your money  ;) ;D

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2006, 09:21 PM »

sell it to me for 4 bucks...then you doubled your money  ;) ;D

billybono

Thought you could pull a slick one on me eh?  Well I wasn't born yesterday.....I got to get a least $5.50 out of it  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.