FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: filet style preference  (Read 6418 times)

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
filet style preference
« on: Jul 16, 2006, 05:06 PM »
Just wondering what the general consensus is on standard  or electric knives !
I haven't tried an electric knife yet and haven't ever seen it done but I understand that it is a lot faster and the amount of flesh harvested is greater also .
Is there really any truth to that and if so what kind of knife do you reccomend ?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions !

biggeorge50

Re: filet style preference
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2006, 05:43 PM »
I use an American Angler electric.  I have both 12V and 110V and they both work great.  Normal household electric knives don't work for me.
I know enough, I just can't think of most of it.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2006, 05:51 PM »
i use a rechargable model from BestAngler...faster by far yes...more fish in your fillets is still up to you...took me a few fish to get a feel for the knife but can now whip through a pile of crappies in no time. i still use a conventional fillet knife to skin the fillet but use the electic for the actual filleting
Scotty 

Fishingking

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2006, 06:04 PM »
I am still stuck on a normal Fillet Knife I did 50 bluegills in about 43 minutes one evening. I like the control you have with a normal fillet knife over an electric one plus I feel I am just as fast as anyone with an electric knife.
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2006, 06:49 PM »
regular filleting knife....Grump

wny angler

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2006, 08:46 PM »
never tried an electric and probably never will. i'm pretty handy with a 9 inch fillet knife.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2006, 10:36 PM »
i agree with most, im always gonna stick to the old style, manual

Fishing is life

MIRC!

fishryc

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2006, 05:26 AM »
Just wondering what the general consensus is on standard  or electric knives !
I haven't tried an electric knife yet and haven't ever seen it done but I understand that it is a lot faster and the amount of flesh harvested is greater also .
Is there really any truth to that and if so what kind of knife do you reccomend ?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions !

I only use an electric for perch. Two reasons 1) for me, it is faster, and 2) I fillet the whole side off right through the rib cage bones rather than cutting around them (again, this is faster for me). Then flip over the fillet and "flip" off those bones. We get some pretty hefty 16 to 17 inchers in the Great Lakes and those rib bones put a pretty quick dulling on my Fiskar and Rapala regular fillet knives.
 BTW, I only use the electric to do the fillet. My Fiskar does the de-boning and skinning. Also, my electric is not a fishing fillet knife with the thin blade. It's just an 11.99 Hamilton Beach turkey carver from Wal-Mart and does just fine by me........
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

dachmation

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2006, 06:25 AM »
I have an American Angler 110 volt and so far Im impressed, I use it to cut the whole side off and flip it over and get the rib bones peeled off too. Im still using hand knife for the skin, leave too much meat so far, but Im just learnin. lol. 
Come Friday I hope to have some big fish to practice on, going on a Lake Mich Salmon charter. I'll let you know how it works on them
""TIGHT LINES"

OTIS

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2006, 07:11 AM »
BTW, I only use the electric to do the fillet. My Fiskar does the de-boning and skinning. Also, my electric is not a fishing fillet knife with the thin blade. It's just an 11.99 Hamilton Beach turkey carver from Wal-Mart and does just fine by me........

I hear ya.  My wife had one stashed away that was probably 20 years old so I tried it one night on a couple walleyes, it worked great.  I wouldn't say that you get more meat by using one, at least not when I use one.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

ladyfish

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2006, 07:30 AM »
I use an electric  fillet and I fillet the skin off the fish with it.  When I do perch, crappie or bass, I will use a regular kitchen knife to debone the rib cages so that I get the rib meat also.  When  I do bluegills in the winter, I cut around the rib cage with the electric knife, then I fillet the skin off with the knife.  Saves me a lot of time in the winter when I do large amounts of fish.

blaque

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2006, 07:31 AM »
At oneida lake this year, a friendly local at the camp helped our group out and actually taught us how to use an electric and use teh technique mentioned above. Rip right through the ribcage, then debone the filet after its off teh fish and skinned. Used the electric for getting teh filet off the fish and skinning. Regular filet kniife to de-bone (theres a little finesse needed there). Oh and the electric worked great for the walleye cheeks as well. Ya lose a very minimal amount of meat by getting the filet off the fish in one swipe. But not much. Ill be getting one for next years trip.

fishboy

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2006, 09:30 AM »
A good sharp reg fillet knife works best for me but i'd take an electric over a dull one most days.  I have both and prefer the reg knife. i am faster, waste less and the fillet is well cleaner with the reg knife.  The fillets seem to get a little ground with the electric, JMHO.  But like Fishing King i can do about 50 bluegills on under an hour.  i also use two reg knives most of the time one a little less sharp for skinning. 

My 2 cents

T
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

rojo

• ketchem, fillitem & eatem
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2006, 11:04 AM »
I only keep and filet panfish mostly gills and sunfish and use a 4"  Rapala knife
and Townsend fish skinner. My wife helps me skin the fish. The Townsend does
a neet job.
Ron

bighillbilly

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2006, 12:41 PM »
I have to agree, electric for pannies.  Bigger fish typically equals lesser quantity so do it by hand - also, unless you take your time with the electric you will miss some meat, it's not a cure for poor fileting skills.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.