FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Moving to Anchorage!!  (Read 2920 times)

darkhousefisher

Moving to Anchorage!!
« on: May 18, 2007, 12:22 PM »
Well all my life I've wanted to go to Alaska, and I'm finally doing it.  We sold all our furniture and a bunch of other junk we didn't need any more.  We are almost all packed up now and ready to go.  The nurse agency that my wife works for pays all our housing costs there and finds us an apartment, so that's taken care of.  Guess It's time I get a fly rod and learn how to catch salmon and trout.  All I have ever fished for is warmwater fish and walleye and pike.

Any help on what sized fly rod and gear to get would be very much appreciated, also advice on where to go would be very helpful.  Thanks for any help, I can't wait to get there to meet some of you in person.

Darkhouse

akjw7

Re: Moving to Anchorage!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:23 AM »
congrats!

typically a 4-5wt is plenty for trout. I've even caught reds on my 5 wt, but it's a bit much! Probably an 8-9wt if you want to fish for kings. I don't think there's any fly fishing only waters down there for kings is there? Most people bank fishing for kings would have heavy spin/cast gear...usually crowded and you can't fight long running fish without getting fouled up. Fly fishermen for kings in those spots probably have high quality reels with excellent drags.

Mt. View sports has always done pretty well for me in Anchorage, sportsmans warehouse wasn't there when I was but they are probably pretty good as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.