FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Statewide catch and release season for bass  (Read 6280 times)

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
Statewide catch and release season for bass
« on: Apr 08, 2004, 07:25 PM »
The NYS DEC is seriously considering a regulation change beginning in 2006 for largemouth and smallmouth bass.  The change would allow for a statewide catch and release season similar to that of the current regulation on the Finger Lakes, from the first Saturday in May through the regular opening.

Doug Stang of the DEC stated "There is not universal support for this change to the black bass fishing regulations from among the Regional Fisheries Managers, Biologists nor the angling public so there remains work to be done (to get the change made)."

Just wondering of some of your thoughts and concerns about such a proposal, and please be honest.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
Re: Statewide catch and release season for bass
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2004, 07:56 PM »
I think this is a great idea. I really hate having to wait for so long to bass fish, it really stinks. I mean, I have to miss some prime time on the water, when the fishing is at it's best. I'd like to see more support on this subject.

-Zach

bigdave1018

« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2004, 05:22 AM »
just tell barney fife that ur pike fishing . after all thats the pike opener may 1st. and no im not for an earlier season when the bass are spawning.

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2004, 06:01 AM »
What about all the Bass you catch that aren't on beds? Not all the Bass sit on beds this time of year. I catch alot of Bass this time of year and I do it swimming a crappie jig in 10ft of water that is too cold for any Bass to spawn in. Also if it was so bad for the Bass to have a catch and release season, than how do most of the states do it and still have a good Bass population? ???
I like the idea, it's right up there with Dove hunting. I think it's time we get with the program and step up to the plate. Kinda like Sunday hunting for deer.  Some of these laws just don't make sence.

Also with this late winter how many Bass do you think will still be on the Bed in June??? I bet alot in the cold lakes like Seneca...  I see alot of Bass still on beds in June. I say leave it up to the sporstman to be a sporstman, kinda like taking a pheseant on the ground. You could do it but is it right? Just my 2 cents. 

Mentiply

• Crow Point, Lake George
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2004, 10:49 AM »
I think the easiest way to figure out if this is good or bad would be to take a look at an area that is currently using these rules. If the Bass fishing there has been the same and the fish population is stable then why not. Just as long as C&R is immediate and as an example, does not apply to a bass tourney. (Catch now and release 5 hours later in a different part of the lake.) Just my thoughts.

seaweed01

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2004, 11:50 AM »
I am against it also.  Bass are stressed enough when they are spawning.
PA  a few years ago changed the size limit starting  October 1 in the rivers and reduced the take limit from six to three, to offset the mortality from catch and release during the spawning season. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU?

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2004, 02:41 PM »
Keep the input coming guys!

I am NOT trying to start an argument of any kind, just want to hear what you feel about the subject, and why.

Thanks.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2004, 02:59 PM »
Wouldn't really matter to me. I catch and release them all the time while pike fishing. Most of the time while pike fishing all I'll catch is bass. Sometimes it gets frustrating.
Harold

devil-man

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2004, 05:45 PM »
In the South bass season is open year round and the population does not suffer.
In these Northern climes I believe they deserve a little break.
It sure is fun though...

Ifishy

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2004, 07:05 PM »
in northren climates like this one bass only feed lightly through the cold months so by the time spring comes there in pretty rough shape.  add in the stress of spawning and the fish that are taken off beds have a very reduced survival rate compared to those caught later in the year.  Its true that not all bass are on there beds during the early season and they can be caught elesewhare but people arnt going to fish elesewhare if they can find them on beds where there easy to catch.  I think even a catch and release program would hurt the population.  also we should take into account the recent introduction of the goby in the great lakes which will destroy nests that are unattended for even a few minuets that it would take to catch and release a fish than let have it return to its bed.  the current regs are working well and I think it could be devestating to change them now just so some fisherman can catch a few more fish that they cant figure out how to get in the summer

fishon

« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2004, 08:41 PM »
I support the change with the addition of one condition - that the DEC use their special regulations to protect lakes that would be considered "fragile" fisheries.
I live at Honeoye Lake where the catch and release season is in effect.  It has not hurt the fishery one iota.  In fact in talking to some of the fisheries people from the DEC laast year, they felt it would help if more people kept some of the smaller legal fish while they are in season.  Also, our lake is open for bass fishing through the ice.  Quite a few get caught and taken during this time period.  The ones I have kept (usually 12-14 inches) are very healthy and usually full of small minnows.  I release anything over 14".
To be honest, even before the catch and release seaason was law, I saw dozens of people fishing for them anyway.  I don't target them specifically in the spring, opting for the crappie, bluegill, and walleye.  I catch numerous bass mixed in with those other species every year, and I'm sure that I am not alone.
As for the mortality rate during the catch and release season, I would say it is not as high as it would be from a tournament on a hot summer day.  Having fished in club tournaments and having been a weighmaster in one club, the highest death rates of bass were on hot sunny days in July and August (And even then I didn't see a lot.
Good luck to all
Norm

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2004, 07:11 AM »
I understand some of the statements here but Sandman back in the day I don't think the livewells are what they are today either. And the catch and release won't let you tourny fish anyways so that's a mute point. One thing I want to stress to all is for the past several years you could have fished for Bass in May and to be honest I never heard anybody talk about Bass on the beds and targeting them. I fish Honeoye alot and I very rarely see fish on the bed there.  And the comments about fished being unhealthy this time of the year are crazy. I have caught several fish already this year and they are in great shape. Some of my Biggest Bass are caught this time of the year Crappie fishing with minnows and they always fight hard and look great.  Not taking fish out of the pond isn't any good either. And Bass fisherman are always catch and release. This can hurt the population as much as killing them.  I guess when you haved lived in the South and fished all year and then move home and your told you can't you kinda wonder why?  ???

upsavr

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2004, 05:45 PM »
I think it would be great for a permanent catch and release only season  making it illegal to keep bass
who wants to eat a bass anyway when u can have panfish that are easily caught and reproduce in much bigger numbers

bassman31112

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2004, 06:02 PM »
Noel, I'm very wishy washy on this topic.  I would like to see it for the fact I hate waiting so long to fish for bass, but on the otherside as you had mentioned on another message board, we in NY have many excellent bass fisheries that may have become excellent because we do have a protected season.  No matter what the DEC says, they do not have the money, staff or the technology to do accurate studies on a topic such as this.   With the early season on Lake Erie and on the Finger Lakes to fish for bass, I would rather they leave Chautauqua Lake the way it is and use as a comparison.  Bassman (Randy C.)

bassman79

• work is for people who dont fish!!!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2004, 06:13 PM »
i live in pa and our archaic state changed to catch and release i cant believe we actually did something b4 ny did!! im in favor of it even if all it does is give me more time to have wnybassman take me fishin and teach me the fine art of tubing!!!  lol!!  but i really dont think this would have a negative impact on the bass population--thats my 2 cents!! bassman  79 :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.