FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: painting an aluminum boat  (Read 1280 times)

gofishseven

painting an aluminum boat
« on: Jun 06, 2009, 02:37 PM »
we have an old boat that we would like to spruce up.  The paint is peeling in amall sections, other larger areas it appears to be well attached and looks good and solid.   Has anyone any experience with a project like this.  i don't think it is necessary to strip down to  bare aluminum.  80% of the boat has solid paint.  We are not wanting to restore it or make it our new hobby to repair, however are not interested in just a spray can or two and calling it done.  We would like to make it a nice job with it hopefully lasting 5 or more years before any issues.   We have heard that interlux polyurethane enamel is a great paint.   And have been told that any........polyurethane enamel of good quality above the waterline is just as good.  Interlux is like 40 bucks a quart!   What have people done?  Prep......and paint??    thanks....

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
Re: painting an aluminum boat
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2009, 05:41 PM »
I would at least sand it somewhat to get any loose stuff off.  Back when I painted an aluminum boat I remember having to use some sort of "etching primer" made especially for aluminum.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2009, 05:56 PM »
Yep, it is a two part primer that you mix. I painted my boat last year with it and it still looks great. I did a heavy coat of self etching primer, then two coats of quality auto enamel over it. You need the etching primer of the paint will fall off. Most auto parts stores that have body supplies have it.

gofishseven

« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2009, 06:41 PM »
thanks guys, do you think the ethcing primer is necessary over the paint which is stable and secure.   I was planning on sanding the entire thing.  to remove the loose, to feather the edges............to roughen up the paint coat to allow the new paint to hold better.   Did you find, or do you think..........the primer is necessary?  thanks

nypike

• Where da fish at?
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2009, 08:08 PM »
I used regular exterior rust-oleum oil based. cleaned the boat really good with pressure washer, scuffed up the finish slightly, and painted it. 5 years ago, still is holding up great. 10 bucks for a quart.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2009, 10:27 AM »
I would at least prime any bare aluminum. If you dont, the paint will chip off. If you are painting over existing paint, you should be fine.

KeukaZ71

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2009, 11:33 AM »
have fun sanding. i wanted to do the same thing a few years ago. i gave up on sanding after a day's work. i also tried using airplane stripper. works good, but that stuff is toxic. burns when you get it on your bare skin. plus you go through alot of cans of it. if i had to do it all over again, i would of paid someone to sandblast it first

GAR

« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2009, 05:43 PM »
I did an aluminum starcraft back in the 90's. I sanded the rough spots down, used rustoleum primer, rustoleum white enamel, and wet-sanded it. It looked great until I got rid of it. Heck, most of it will be in the water anyhow ! Wet sand and rubbing compound make even shoddy paint look like a pro did it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.