FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Greedy river  (Read 1212 times)

Velcro

Greedy river
« on: May 01, 2011, 03:05 PM »
There's a place on a local stream I'd swore not to go back to because I always lose lures and line there but I got an idea for a home-made stick pole I wanted to test out there so I wound up back over there. The home-made pole worked sorta ok but I probably won't use it again until ice fishing season. Had a little more luck, brought a regular pole with me and managed to drift some nightcrawlers and caught two brook trout- my first trout of the season. Also caught a suckerfish, I'd never caught one before that i can recall so I took some pictures.

I guess they're good pike bait but I didn't feel like holding onto it and threw it back.

Maybe I'm superstitious but that part of the river seems to demand sacrifices everytime I go there, usually it just takes some lures and line but before yesterday it didn't give me any trout in return. Since I got two trout I guess it wanted more. While I was packing up my gear tipped over and spilled right into the brook. I managed to grab most of it right away but my plano bucket lid/tackle box (http://www.cabelas.com/25-tackle-storage-plano-bucket-lid-storage-box.shtml) had gone a bit further, it was upside-down and floating like a roundboat. I threw my cell phone in my backpack- and the adapter for my bluetooth headset fell in the water, never to be seen again.

I tried wading after the tackle but within a few steps I was chest deep in water and it was only getting further away. So I frantically gathered up my gear, hauled it up to the street, across the bridge and into the field on the other side. I grabbed my pole, put a hook on it and ran across the field soaking wet trying to catch up to my tackle which was calmly floating down the stream like people like to do in tubes.

Came to a part where there was a lot of tree limbs and small trees down on either side. Managed to balance myself on the limbs and get my hook in the water before my lid could get through the narrow bit. I hadn't gotten around to taking the hanging tab off the tackle box and managed to hook it (Let's hear it for circle hooks!)  and reeled it closer.

And right at the moment  was thinking how anyone watching would get a kick of the spectacle I was putting on and would like a picture I remembered that I had my digital camera in my pocket during my little swim...

The tackle box flipped right-side up,l and if you see this tackle box you might notice how the bottom is sort of split and it gave itself a sort of wedgie on a branch- took me several tries to get it loose and finally back in my hands.

Got all my stuff back together, emptied my pockets into the backpack, took my camera from its case, slightly protected by the case but still damp. I went home, put my camera in a bowl of rice, changed into dry clothes and had a STRONG cup of tea. Was in a bit of a shock after that. I hope my camera will be all right, the memory chip seemed ok at least. Ruined a pack of gum that I'd only chewed on piece of.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.