FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steel leaders and Snaps on safety pin spinnerbaits...  (Read 8009 times)

Drifter_016

Re: Steel leaders and Snaps on safety pin spinnerbaits...
« Reply #15 on: Jun 02, 2011, 09:53 AM »
Very cool ... If I remember correctly that area has never had a outfitter on it...

It has not had any fishing on it for 20 years.
It was reopened last year.
The old camp that was there is being rebuilt and added to.
New boats are in the works within the next year or so.

esox v

« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2011, 10:09 AM »
One of these.  
http://www.frabill.com/landing-nets/pro-tech-nets/9998.html

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: I had one custom made almost 15 years ago and I haven't used it in many years due to a large fish.. and 15 stitches in my hand incident... It's been in my rodlocker of my current boat for 8 years and is falling apart.. I was using a large net and leaving the fish in the water to reduce fin splits... Now I've been hand landing... But that involves some risk..and I'm a long way from home.. Thanks for the info
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2011, 11:25 AM »

killer idea man !!! ive lost some real nice spinners to pig pike  :o

drowndin dots

« Reply #18 on: Jun 02, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I have had a musky inhale a 2oz spinnerbait completely and by the time I landed the fish it had wrapped up my 18" leader around the head and back through the mouth more than once.
The only leader material saving me from losing the fish was 4" of wire.    :w00t:
So 6" of spinnerbait and 14" of wire leader were either in the fises mouth or wrapped around it's head.
The complete 6" spinnerbait and an inch or two of leader were in the fishes mouth on the initial hit.
That is why you use a leader on a spinnerbait.   ;D

Little pike like this one I caught last week also tend to have issues with their oversized pie holes.   :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

PS This bad girl was caught on a chartreuse bunny leetch on a 9wt Sage using 40# flouro leader. You don't always need steel.
You can just tie 40 or 60 pound flouro straight to the bait.   ;)
dude , is that on youre wall ???? not only is it hugemungus  :o :o it has some of the nicest reds ive seen in a pike before  :clapping: :clapping: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
theres a fish to shoot for scott , my bud matt used to go on the trip till the plant shut down , but he broke 40 a couple times  ;D

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Not an NWT pike.
That's from my trip to Northern Ontario last week (lakes were still frozen here when I left on the trip)

Here's some more shots of the trip.   ;D

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/DRIFTER_016/Fishing%20Reports/Pikapalooza%202011/

And the camps web site that I developed.   8)

http://eddienorth.com/
man some HUGE stink logs right there ;D ;D ;D  nice ;D

Drifter_016

« Reply #20 on: Jun 02, 2011, 05:46 PM »
dude , is that on youre wall ???? not only is it hugemungus  :o :o it has some of the nicest reds ive seen in a pike before  :clapping: :clapping: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
theres a fish to shoot for scott , my bud matt used to go on the trip till the plant shut down , but he broke 40 a couple times  ;D

She's still a swimmin'.   ;D
I'm waiting for a 50 incher until I get a replica done.   8)
I have heard of quite a few here in the Yellowknife area up to 53 inches.   :w00t:
These little Southern pike need to grow up some.   :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
Here's a morbidly obese pike caught in one of the little lakes inside the city limits this past Monday.   :w00t:

drowndin dots

« Reply #21 on: Jun 02, 2011, 06:42 PM »
She's still a swimmin'.   ;D
I'm waiting for a 50 incher until I get a replica done.   8)
I have heard of quite a few here in the Yellowknife area up to 53 inches.   :w00t:
These little Southern pike need to grow up some.   :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
Here's a morbidly obese pike caught in one of the little lakes inside the city limits this past Monday.   :w00t:

showoff  :P  :P i appreciate the pics tho keeps my dreams alive  ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Jun 02, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Great fish Dave...   Keep those pictures coming.. ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

carcaju

« Reply #23 on: Jun 04, 2011, 07:18 AM »
nice fish i miss nothern ontario makes me want to go back

greensider

« Reply #24 on: Jun 04, 2011, 05:03 PM »
the trick ive found works best is put a splitring over thr eye where you would tie your line then atach snap it will never move down the ware hope this helps

NitroMusky

« Reply #25 on: Jun 04, 2011, 11:09 PM »
the trick ive found works best is put a splitring over thr eye where you would tie your line then atach snap it will never move down the ware hope this helps

Interesting alternative and a good one - particularly when my surgeon buddy forgets to bring his tubing  :D but isn't it possible that the split ring could ( in theory) slide up onto the snap...say on the cast or during a pause?

greensider

« Reply #26 on: Jun 05, 2011, 03:40 PM »
never had it happen the right size ring and the leaders thet i use have a fairly big snap on the end i also squeeze the snap closed so it wont open on pike if im not going to change baits foe a while

lmb242002

« Reply #27 on: Jun 08, 2011, 10:25 AM »
awesome fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.