FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BOWFIN!!  (Read 7692 times)

TheDL

BOWFIN!!
« on: Jun 11, 2011, 05:39 PM »
I headed out this afternoon for a quick shore fish for some rock bass to tide me over untill tommorow's lake trout outing.   Tried loborough, too crowded around the bridge and boat dock.   Drove to upper brewers mills locks and fished the docks on the top end.  I hadn't been there 5 mins and I had hooked 4 rock bass and one incidental largie  on a small yellow curly tail jig.  I was using a brand new box of 1/8oz "eyeball" jigs, and I was pretty impressed with the catch thus far.  I was having a great time site fishing small rockies and sunnies, and all of a sudden a huge flash in the water on my jig and the FIGHT WAS ON!!! :o I've NEVER  had a fish pull like that in my life, I thought it was a monster pike, and I was a little worried aout my 14lb flouro leader and double-uni connector which I don't have 100% confidence in (lost my personal best pike 2 weeks ago at the dock to a toothy headshake). :o ;D
This thing ran and shook, I could barely turn his head, he was running into the weeds everytime I made some headway with him.  3 hard runs later I had it within site of the dock.  It was splashin' and thrashin and by this time 2 boats had stopped for the show (I was hollering!!).  I got a look and couldn't believe what I saw, a BIG FREAKIN' BOWFIN!  This thing was not done, it rolled and flopped and tried to pull another run.  I "subdued" (I thought) this thing and looked at it thinking "how am I going to land this monster?". It looked mean and toothy, I was not about to lip it.  It must have been about 25-30" and who knows how heavy, my 7ft med-hvy rod was doubled over.  I thought about sticking my hand in the gills, but that looked like stiches waiting to happan.  I don't carry a net when I shore fish for rock bass so I tried to "slide it" up onto the dock :flex:, I got the head and about 1/4 of the body onto the dock and this thing thrashed like crazy, bent the BRAND NEW jig hook wide open and was gone before the hook hit the dock!!  :cursing: :'( I can't believe I lost this fish, no picture or anything.  BY FAR the craziest fight I've ever had!  My legs were shaking after, what a "catch".  I tried for about 2 hours to get him back on the hook, and managed nothing but out of season bass and some rockies.  Here's a question, how would you land a big toothy monster with no net?  
tight lines....

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: BOWFIN!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2011, 07:22 AM »
Yep, I have hooked a few bowfins in this area, they aer a cazy fight, the first time I thouhgt it was a dream bass the way it was moving. The second time I hooked one, he actually came out of the water after my jig as i was done my retrieve. Fought like crazy I was able to pull him up on shore.

scoop

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2011, 05:49 PM »
We catch Bow Fins at our fish camp on the Nottawasaga River all the time, I've  have hooked into them trolling for fall rainbows and thought I had a good "bow" on. The fight fight they give is very much the same as  a rainbow. I could be mistaken but believe they are part of the carp family. Anyone no for sure?

tightlines.

TheDL

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Yep, I have hooked a few bowfins in this area, they aer a cazy fight, the first time I thouhgt it was a dream bass the way it was moving. The second time I hooked one, he actually came out of the water after my jig as i was done my retrieve. Fought like crazy I was able to pull him up on shore.

nice pics BassJunky, such a wierd looking fish, I wish I'd landed mine! 
tight lines....

the jigs up

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Wish I could see the pics... still not working?

Nice Fish story...always fun fighting a BIG fish no matter what the breed.

As mentioned before in a previous thread I caught a 13 lb Bowfin years ago and found out much later it was almost a record. We used to catch them fairly regular in Georgian Bay, looking for either Pike or Bass. Such a thrill until it rears it's UGLY head. Strong Fish.

No Fish stories here >:( One day off this week and have to get my car fixed. No more off days until vacation startin July 1.
BORN TO FISH...FORCED TO WORK... TO PAY FOR FISHING...

the jigs up

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2011, 09:22 PM »
  Here's a question, how would you land a big toothy monster with no net?  

2 options... Tail him or similar to what you would do with a Pike; grab him by the shoulders just behind gills and squeeze.

Either way..... Hold on for a ride.
BORN TO FISH...FORCED TO WORK... TO PAY FOR FISHING...

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2011, 09:37 PM »
I was fihining ths shoreline and opted for the drag method.. gotta love braid, I was not going near that mouth

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2011, 04:08 PM »
Neat fishing experience TheDL.
Those bowfin look like a powerful predator and one heck of a fighter. 8)

Too bad you didn't get a photo of it.

A lip gripper may be the answer to those toothy fish.

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

monkeyman2269

« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2011, 04:15 PM »
I came close to the NY state record last week its a 10 pounder and my buddy got a 11.8 pounder

greensider

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2011, 05:40 PM »
theres a site just for fins its called bowfin anglers group its a good sight also a side site for gar ive got a few picts on both sites lots of good info theyre one of the best fish to sightfish for

TheDL

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2011, 07:55 PM »
yep, I gotta agree they are great site fishing - pretty hard to tempt onto a hook though  ??? Waterwolf - you're right, I need one of those lip gripper things, I've lost a few pike while timidly reaching for a fish  :-\
I actually have a way better bowfin story I should've posted on here.  A few weeks ago while dock fishing at West lake, I bagged a few bass waiting for the walleye nite bite.  I had 2 on the stringer hooked to the dock in a little cove, one was almost 4lbs (I normally wouldn't keep, but he swallowed my popper and was bleeding). Fished a while, left the dock for a bathroom break - heard the stringer going crazy...ran back out to the dock and found a BIG bowfin attacking my catch!  I pulled them out, minus a teeth thrashing or two and not moments later a guy fly fishing next to me hooked up big time :o He fought this thing for 3-5 mins, I put my gear down and ran over to help him land it - it was a BIG bowfin, he had to drag it up on shore and carefully plier grip the hook out, this thing was MEAN and showed no fatigue being out of the water!  We both discussed throwing it back or killing it, I know a lot of folks kill them b/c they 'hurt sports fisheries' - but niether one of us wanted to eat it and I couldn't bring myself to kill something for no reason, so we let it slither back into the water.   :-\ which it did easily.  What a freaky fish :o So what do you guys think, let 'em swim?
tight lines....

greensider

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 08:19 PM »
thay are a sucker for a crawler

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2013, 10:16 AM »
I dont know what it is this year, but I cant shake 'em.. Ive hooked into 5 already, one was a beast I could not believe the size of it. Dog Lake shallows are swimming with them, and of course the river

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2013, 01:36 PM »
Make that 6.. just hooked into this guy while on my lunch break today

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Nice! Bowfin are a blast to catch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum