FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jiggin for pike  (Read 15709 times)

krakkon

Re: Jiggin for pike
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Hey skipper what is the swimbait brand you have on that rig?

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Lunker City Shaker.... 6''. They have a huge tail that really thumps, they weigh a ton too.

krakkon

« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2012, 10:14 PM »
ahhh.. cool thanks

monkeyman2269

« Reply #18 on: Sep 09, 2015, 11:46 AM »
I w as killing them on a neon green split tail with red tips and a quarter ounce jig head. Casting and ripping

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Interesting thread.  Lots of baseless generalizations though....I liked the one about starting small with lures and then moving up in size to musky sized offerings towards Fall.  Totally baseless.  Any pike will frequently take offerings up to 1/3rd of its size during the duration of its life.  A 45" pike is capable of housing a big bait any time of year, howver there are plenty of expamples of hige pike eat small offerings as well.

I jig for pike frequently but most always during the summer.  I mix it up between jigging plastics like 9" tsunami shads to hardbaits like lipless crankbaits.  I find deep weed edges and then look for any points hat the weedline may form.  I find jigging for them works well when they are in those areas or when they are in a neutral feeding position (suspending)

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2015, 03:43 AM »
I've caught plenty of pike in the 30+ inch range on bucktail jigs when jigging for walleye

jimp

« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2015, 08:21 AM »
 Yup I grew up on the St Lawrence throwing 1/4 ounce hand made bucktail jigs for pike.  I've seen lots of 30 plus inch/10 lb. plus  pike caught on 1/4 ounce bucktails.     

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:51 AM »
You are getting dangerously close to something I use when they move shallow in the fall.

I call it a Dougie... I saw Doug Stange using it on TV once, hence the name. The thumper tail swimbait (like the one on your third jig) can be a huge trigger. Good luck!
I like that one, and i am going to try it before the ice
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.