FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hi Rod Builders  (Read 5587 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Hi Rod Builders
« on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:44 AM »
Scott was good enough to start a section for us.

Lets hear your questions, answers and tips. I've been building my own and a very few for others for a long time. Jump on in!!!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

shark

Re: Hi Rod Builders
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:19 AM »
Hi,

I started rod building about 26 years ago, Its fun and even better catching fish on something you built yourself, You can make them the way you want them. Been away from it for a little while but gonna start up again.

Shark

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:10 PM »
Mark, I knew we had more than a sick sense of humor in common. I built my first UL in 1972. I used it until last year when the tip section flew off on a cast and broke the line. 20fow...gone.

That was a great fishing rod.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

jigerjim

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2004, 06:47 PM »
I've built rod's for about 35 year's from UL to Trolling and everything in between. I built mostly surf rod's when I was living closer to the shore. Now that I moved to NE Pa. I pirty much stoped building. Another reason I stoped was because I lost my supplier. I would say over the year's I built close to a 1000 rod's. Last year I bought my first new rod over the counter in 35 year's I almost feel like a trader. And I did make a lot of fly rod's from 2 wt. to 12 wt's. The 12 wt's were for surf fishen for Stripper's.
All way's keep your line wet

amazinmoose

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2006, 08:26 PM »
im a newbie to rod building...  just got a bunch of blanks  dont know where to start.. anyone wanna give me a few tips??   -moose

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2008, 09:41 PM »
I am planning to put myself an ice rod together and I was wondering if anyone had some input. I want to make this thing a real piece of functional art, not just a jig stick. ;D

Where can a guy get a high end graphite ice length blank? I have found several sources of St. Croix blanks, is that it? :-\

Are there any good books on the subject out there that are worth the time to read? I love a good dry book filled with insider info! The way I look at it, why should I bother if the finished product isn't superior to anything I can find in a store. 8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2008, 06:21 AM »
Don't ignore Lamiglas blanks. They're high quality and pretty reasonable. I think Cabela's still sends out a rod building supply catalog. I've purchased some blanks from them.

There's lots of others out there. Just search it.
RG

er-e-is

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2008, 10:24 PM »
I am planning to put myself an ice rod together and I was wondering if anyone had some input. I want to make this thing a real piece of functional art, not just a jig stick. ;D

Where can a guy get a high end graphite ice length blank? I have found several sources of St. Croix blanks, is that it? :-\

Are there any good books on the subject out there that are worth the time to read? I love a good dry book filled with insider info! The way I look at it, why should I bother if the finished product isn't superior to anything I can find in a store. 8)

I built my wife a jigging rod to use out of the boat. I couldn't find a blank the length that I wanted so I used a 6' med action casting rod blank(Cabelas Fish Eagle Kit) and cut it down to 4'9''. Turned out really nice and will handle the 20 lb laker that she's going to catch soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.