FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Butter chub's  (Read 3667 times)

carpcatcher

Butter chub's
« on: Apr 01, 2005, 09:47 AM »
I see all you guy's talking about all the different kind's of bait and never see butter chubs mentioned. You just cant find a better trout bait for in the creek's in my area. They are kinda dark brown across the back and get a kinda white, yellow, green under side with bright orange fin's. I even used some this winter on tip-up's and cought 3 or four crappies on one minnie. Does anyone else use these or are they only found in central PA ?
    Jim
Love 2 fish

flipstick

Re: Butter chub's
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2005, 10:01 AM »
I think I've seen these here in NEPA but I always thought they were just a variation of the creek chub.  Most of the ones I see with this coloration are about 4" or bigger, though.  I never tried using them for bait, but I may have to now.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Sounds like a spawning male creek chub to me...

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2005, 01:23 PM »
In western colorado, we only have roundtail chubs and humpback chubs. And they are found only in the colorado river. Even though the roundtail is extremely overpopulated and destroying the rest of the fishery (squawfish, catfish, and trout in the mid areas), we have to release them as soon as caught. So basically, we can't use chubs here. We don't have any other species of chub here and none occupy any of our lakes. I don't know how a chub would work for bait.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2005, 05:28 PM »
Humpback chubs are weird looking fish! :o Sunds like chubs are to Colorado as gobies are to the Mid Atlantic.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.