FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Early pike  (Read 3053 times)

poorfisherman

Early pike
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:20 AM »
We like to fish shallow coulees right after ice out. What are some opinions about bait placement.  I like to run smelt right on the bottom no weights no floats just a smelt on a quick strike. 

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Re: Early pike
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 05:09 PM »
For spring pike I usually fish off shore with a soft plastic lure, spoon or crankbait while keeping it moving slowly foot or two off the bottom.

I break out frozen bait like smelts, herring or minnows when I feel they are around the area but won't go for any thing else.
I usually fish it on a drop shot type rig with a small weight on the bottom and with the bait and hook a foot or so off the bottom.
I use a float to get the rig to stand up off the bottom.

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

nightbird

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:12 PM »
I put them right on the bottom, also, at this time of year.

buzzbomb

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 07:32 PM »
For spring pike I usually fish off shore with a soft plastic lure, spoon or crankbait while keeping it moving slowly foot or two off the bottom.

I break out frozen bait like smelts, herring or minnows when I feel they are around the area but won't go for any thing else.
I usually fish it on a drop shot type rig with a small weight on the bottom and with the bait and hook a foot or so off the bottom.
I use a float to get the rig to stand up off the bottom.

WW
You know, Rory, if it turns out there is a God, and he's a jackfish, you're going to be in a can of trouble...
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:22 PM »
LOL, :laugh: for sure buzzbomb, but a fair amount of the time I just introduce myself to them and let them go. That must count for something. :unsure: :whistling:

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Swaintrain21

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:53 AM »
There are a few approaches I take for early spring pike. First is a slip-bobber quickstrike rig. Works well in most places. Second there is the slap-casting giant spoons and inline spinners,  lots of fun. Third there is the surface plugs/cranks, supersized of course.  And last but not least there is the sight fishing with plugs. All are extremely effective if conditions are right.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.