FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: early season pike  (Read 4829 times)

abpike

early season pike
« on: Apr 27, 2005, 02:47 PM »
the lakes i fish in southern alberta are just about to open up to fishing on may 8th. Just was wondering what other people use to chatch pike in there neck of the woods at this time of the year.

devil-man

Re: early season pike
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2005, 04:06 PM »
Pretty much anything big, slow, and irritating.
A spinnerbait rolled on outside weed edges works well here.
Our lakes open on May 7th, the same day as the 'eyes.
The woods will be crowded that day, so I just might have to fish.  ;)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2005, 04:08 PM »
 Spring is a good time of year to catch large pike. At this time of year they are recooperating from the rigors of spawing and are feeding to build up there energy. At this time of year pike will usually be found in shallow bays close to there spawing areas. Good a good areas would have a weeds, logs or some other from of cover in the 2-6 foot depth.

Pike can be many different lures, here are just a few that seem to work well this time of year.
1. The Spoon. They mimic the the movments and vibrations of a injured bait fish and are popular with both anglers and fish. If you have a pike following your spoon, but refuse to hit, try a lift / flutter retreave, this should generate a strike. Some popular colors are the five of diamonds, red & white and silver and gold.

2. The Spinners. Both the in-line and off-set spinners will work. They are usually bulky and give off alot of vibrations. Some good colors are red & white, chartruse, and fire tiger.

3 Soft plastic lures. I have always had good luck them for pike. Single and double curly tail models work as well as fish shaped ones, like the Sassy Shads or swim baits like the Storm Wildeye. White is a good color to go with, but yellow chartreuse, orange, red or black will aslo work. It can help to also try to" match the hatch" of the bait fish in your lake, try to find a soft plastic that mimic the size and color of the fish the pike feed on in your area
4. Top water lures. They can be an exciting way to fish for pike this time of year, nothing like watching a pike explode on them. I have asked other angles in My Fish Finder what top water lure is there fav for pike, and here are some choises. The zara spook, buzz baits, jitter bug, poppers and torpedos, good colors are black, silver/ blue and white.

As you can see there are many different ways of catching pike, and spring is a good time to get a big one. It all boils down to spending some time on the water and do a little experimenting with different types of lures and colors, and having fun in the process. Hope this help and good luck abpike. ;D ;)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

archbishop

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2005, 06:14 PM »
dont forget the old stinky sardine under a bobber

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2005, 12:10 AM »
The key is to fish slow presentations! Minnows (live preferably, but if not allowed dead work nearly as good) under slip bobbers, big streamers fished very slow, soft plastic jerkbaits like flukes fished very slow, and when the water warms up a bit (54 or so) spinnerbaits rolled slowly work well..

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2005, 11:27 AM »
I have probably read about six or so articles always saying to fish "the south facing shores" (because of the early ice out do to the sun warming that area first) early spring usually close to any bay that is there spawning grounds.

My question is, do you fish a south facing shore anywhere on the lake, or is it better to be at the south end of a lake? I'm kinda stumped.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Pikeguy

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2005, 11:34 AM »
Just fish wherever the sun hits for the longest portion of the day. and any dark bottom in shallow water is warmer than sand or gravel IMO

devil-man

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2005, 12:27 PM »
My question is, do you fish a south facing shore anywhere on the lake, or is it better to be at the south end of a lake? I'm kinda stumped.

A South-facing shore would be the North end of a lake.
I think that is sound advice. That is where most fish spawn.

meadowpikeman

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2005, 03:27 PM »
look for shallow water like mud or other dark bottom with some reeds (lilly pads emerging early in the year are a also a dead giveaway as to where the water has warmed up)  in the north west corner of a lake this a lot of times will be the warmest spot early after ice out
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2005, 10:09 PM »
I forgot to say- A good bet is shallower water, particularly in a cove where an inlet dumps in. I read that in field and stream a while back. The inlet will bring in warmer water (from runoff) and food for the pike. Also casting at the mudline will give the pike a good position to ambush prey. Good luck and get a gator!!!

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2005, 10:56 PM »
I am sorta planning on trying to find them in shallow water with Chucker and Bensmen.    Spinner baits, slugo's and maybe a fly rod, which would be scary cause I have never really fly-fished at all.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

devil-man

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2005, 05:26 AM »
You're going to learn how to fly-fish on Pike?  :o
Good luck, man! I recommend going to a pond first and practicing a little.

8)

Chucker

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2005, 05:47 AM »
It'll be trial by fire for both of us, really.  I haven't touched my fly rods in 10 years, and I sucked at it then.  Going to dig out the vest tonight, and see what's still kicking around in it.

devil-man

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2005, 05:50 AM »
I suck at it, too, Chucker.
That's why I only use my fly rod at a local stocked trout pond.

;D

archbishop

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2005, 07:03 AM »
first of all i have trouble believing that trout pond is stocked ;D

i am going out next weekend for pike in a small lake what would you guys recomend or just prepair for a variety i ask because funds are limited for what i can buy before the 7th

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.