FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: early season pike  (Read 4830 times)

d_balm24

• WORK is for people who don't know how to FISH.
Re: early season pike
« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2005, 09:04 AM »
go get yourself some creek chubs jay.I know how much you like to use that big orange bobber of yours.Throw the chub on a good sized hook and let er fly.Where are you going?The ice fishin hotspot?

archbishop

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2005, 09:09 AM »
yeah either onoville in the resevoir or quaker not sure yet
and no i cant use that bobber its my trout bobber wait till you see what i got for the pike and musky its a beach ball lol

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2005, 10:29 AM »
try dragging large plasic baits minnowbody not worm off the bottom , NC rigged or texas. Fish em sloooow. Fish will be near their beds and will strike these baits. Kill em every year in Canada fishing shallow. If you want to try jerkbaits go with a husky jerk and fish it slow, let it sit neutral and you will catch fish. Good Luck.
Internet heros give it a rest!

devil-man

« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2005, 11:19 AM »
If you want to try jerkbaits go with a husky jerk and fish it slow, let it sit neutral and you will catch fish. Good Luck.

Good advice, Buckski. I would also recommend using one of the larger sizes, like HJ14.

d_balm24

« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2005, 11:33 AM »
I use HJ 12 usually but I really should buy a HJ 14.I like those Husy jerks I also am gonna try the strom wildeyes.I got a shad pattern and a bluegill pattern.I think they will work real nice.Devil-man what you doing for the opener.I might come out your way and fish for the eyes and pike.But if not I probably will fish with jay and everyone wherever that might be.

devil-man

« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Hey, D! How are ya?
I will be on Silver next Saturday, hunting pike and 'eyes.
Hopefully by then I will have a bird on the ground.

8)

d_balm24

« Reply #21 on: Apr 29, 2005, 11:46 AM »
devil-man If me and my buddy go up to silver we should meet up.He has a 16 ft gruman and he might even have room for you.If not though you have your boat right.We should fish near each other and see what we can do.I will let you know.

8)

devil-man

« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2005, 11:50 AM »
I would love to go out with you guys!
WNYBassman may be out also. We could gang up on the fish.
I just sent you a PM.

Chucker

« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2005, 05:14 PM »
My plan is Slug-Gos, Husky Jerks, a chartreuse spinnerbait or two, and possibly a Torpedo or Spook.  Not to mention whatever I can dig up for flies.  I think I've got a white Dahlberg Diver somewhere in the closet.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #24 on: Apr 29, 2005, 05:22 PM »
d_balm24, you should defiantly have a few strikes with the storm wildeyes. You may find though that the pike keep biting off some of your tails through the course of the day. Rather than throwing them away, I like to splice a tail from a used Mr twister.
 The husky jerks are another great option just throw it out and use a twitch and pause retrieve, if they are sluggish, a longer pause is needed. good luck. 8)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #25 on: Apr 29, 2005, 07:02 PM »
Pike are quite sluggish until the water warms up into the mid 50's here at least. So from mid may to late june pike will stay shallow and are best caught on spinnerbaits, soft jerkbaits, jointed minnows, and curly tail grubs.
If the pike are still sluggish, slowly fishing soft jerks, curly tail grubs, and sassy shads are the way to go. For aggressive, feeding pike, spoons and spinnerbaits work best.

Tyler

IceTroll

« Reply #26 on: Apr 30, 2005, 01:43 AM »
I am leaving this sunday night to try my hand at fishing Ft. Peck from a boat for the first time ever. I have fished it 9 years straight through the ice. My connection up there told me that this time of year, most of the trophy shallow water monster pike are being caught on a dead smelt fished under a bobber. His reasoning is that the lake is full of winter kill forage fish and that the still sluggish Pike much prefer dead fish to gorge themselves on because they have no need to chase live prey. Sounds reasonable to me and I will report back how well it works. If you beach the boat in a bay and fish from the shore, each angler can use 5 rods which should really increase the odds of finding fish. Thanks for the tips on the south facing shore. This should help us locate some fish a little faster. If I find the fish I can guarantee a picture post that will rival my IS posts. ;D :flex:

IceTroll
      :police:

devil-man

« Reply #27 on: Apr 30, 2005, 02:22 AM »
Good luck, Troll! Please inform us of how many times you get bit off, too!
 ;)

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #28 on: Apr 30, 2005, 04:41 PM »
I am leaving this sunday night to try my hand at fishing Ft. Peck from a boat for the first time ever. I have fished it 9 years straight through the ice. My connection up there told me that this time of year, most of the trophy shallow water monster pike are being caught on a dead smelt fished under a bobber. His reasoning is that the lake is full of winter kill forage fish and that the still sluggish Pike much prefer dead fish to gorge themselves on because they have no need to chase live prey. Sounds reasonable to me and I will report back how well it works. If you beach the boat in a bay and fish from the shore, each angler can use 5 rods which should really increase the odds of finding fish. Thanks for the tips on the south facing shore. This should help us locate some fish a little faster. If I find the fish I can guarantee a picture post that will rival my IS posts. ;D :flex:

IceTroll

Troll,

Fort Peck has always been a dream trip for me. I'm curious to know how you do. I mean a place with all those monster pike and lakers, plus the big walleyes and smallies, what a paradise. Curious to know how you do. I might ask you about some areas to fish the lake if I ever go.

Tyler

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #29 on: Apr 30, 2005, 05:02 PM »

IceTroll

Up shallow eh?     I'm going to be only 30 miles away from FT peck in about a month Im hoping they still may be up shallow.   I've seen your pictures and it would be a dream come true to boat a pike of that size.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.