FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lunch With Rusty  (Read 3627 times)

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Lunch With Rusty
« on: Jun 03, 2005, 09:42 PM »
A Beer store manager asked me if I would like to go have "lunch" with Rusty. Of course, I was out of my mind with affirmation. This was a Miller promotion that was scheduled before Rusty's kickoff for his "Last Call" concert series. There were only about 75-100 people in attendance, so this was a more intimate atmosphere that seemed to have Rusty relaxed and in a good mood; this may have been personified by the Miller lite he seemed to be enjoying. I didn't really realize how close I was to be to someone I had admired and followed for 12 years. When he was introduced, I realized that sitting right next to the podium, I would be about 8-10 feet away.

Rusty talked very candidly about where he was in his career today and what was in store for his future with Penske Racing. He had a 20 minute Q & A with the people in attendance. I asked if he had any Nextel Cup plans for his son Stephen in 2 or 3 years to which he said he really hadn't thought that far ahead, but he appreciated the question. Rusty then went to the back of the room and had about an hour long autograph session. I got my wifes 1:32 scale Bud Shootout car autographed and a poster signed.

I then got back in line for a special treat for my wife. When I got to Rusty the second time, I got my wife on the phone and then asked Rusty if he would mind talking to my wife on the phone, she couldn't make it because of work. Rusty says, "sure, give me the phone. Rusty Wallace here" was his greeting. Needless to say, she was very happy with the conversation, something about her loving him was said twice I believe.
I had a great time and was pleasantly surprised by the approachability that Rusty displayed. I believe he is going out at the top of his game.

Mike

treed942000

• Bailee and Sandee
Re: Lunch With Rusty
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2005, 12:18 PM »
Hey Mike,

I'm still flipping jealous.  ;)   Think we can get an autograph next weekend?

Troy
Tight Lines,
TReed

Open Water @ www.myfishfinder.com Icy Conditions @ www.iceshanty.com Hunting @
www.myhuntingforum.com

beerman

• mmmm..........Beer!!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2005, 05:50 PM »
That was sweet man. Im a little jealous!
I'll have a double Jack and Coke!!

archbishop

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2005, 06:49 AM »
thats always sweet when you get to meet and greet with someone you admire and it was real cool of him to talk to your wife on the phone i think nascar stars are the only ones left that care about there fans, try getting most big name football or baseball players on th phone to talk, anyway congradulations on meeting rusty

butterworm

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2005, 06:50 AM »
thats pretty  8). i'll bet your wife really appreciated what you did for her since she could not go.

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2005, 07:45 PM »
Envious????nawwww.... :unsure:...Mountainmama and I are true miller fans of Rusty......and to get a chance to be that up close and personal is something you'll treasure for years to come.....sure wish we were there.....oh well......we still have lots of Nascar memories.....WTG Mike.....Grump

Muskie Matt

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 08:12 AM »
Here's Rusty and I at Loudon in our suite.  Nice guy and VERY professional.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 06:37 AM »
Hey matt,  You didn't get to go golfing with Rusty? I thought he golfed at every opportunity?

Mike

Muskie Matt

« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2006, 03:22 PM »
No we never got to golf but you're correct in he is an avid golfer.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2006, 05:00 PM »
Yeah, I guess everyone has their own bad habits. :rotflol: :rotflol: ;)

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.