FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lithium Iron Phosphate Rechargeable Battery  (Read 9057 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Lithium Iron Phosphate Rechargeable Battery
« Reply #30 on: Sep 25, 2021, 10:43 AM »
Made up a light fixture to draw down the battery for winter storage.
The manufacturer said I should draw it down to 50-60% SOC and simply disconnect it and leave it in the boat.
Once we move to FL I will take it down there with me but this year I will draw it down like the builder suggested.
The low voltage bulbs are only 18 watts (9 each), so it only draws 1/2 amp.
This means I will need to run them for 7-8 days.

taxid

« Reply #31 on: Sep 25, 2021, 07:54 PM »
Glad to see you are doing well with the battery!

On a related note the wife bought a new car a couple of months ago. (Volkswagen Taos) Anyway, they had a a Volkwagen all electric charging and although it was not for sale, the salesman said they would be selling only electric Volkswagen vehicles by 2030.  I assume they are lithium batteries? He said they are most efficient at 80 precent charge. Does that make sense?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #32 on: Sep 26, 2021, 09:00 AM »
Glad to see you are doing well with the battery!

On a related note the wife bought a new car a couple of months ago. (Volkswagen Taos) Anyway they had a a Volkwagen all electric charging and although it was not for sale, the salesman said they would be selling only electric Volkswagen vehicles by 2030.  I assume they are lithium batteries? He said they are most efficient at 80 precent charge. Does that make sense?

Yup.
And as par as efficiency goes, lithium batteries, specifically LiFePo4 batteries, have a very flat voltage curve.
Unlike lead acid and other batteries.
So they are hugely efficient from 10% up to almost the full 100% because of this.
Lead acid batteries are really not supposed to be used below 50% or they age rapidly.
Most guys using LA deep cycle batteries either don't know this, or simply don't practice this.
The LA batteries then go bad after 3-4 yrs.
But even if a person does only use them to 50% they still don't last much more than 5 yrs or so.
LiFePo4 batteries however are "projected" to last 10-20X that.
They say "projected" because they simply have not been around long enough for hard concrete results in every application.
They are fast becoming used in the world however.
Houses off the grid, motorhomes, boats, emergency back up power sources, and the electric vehicles you spoke about.
There's huge info out there if people want to check them out.

Here is my take.

If this battery I bought is only 50% as good as what the experts are saying, it offset LA batteries cost to me by probably 2-3X.
This doesn't even address the huge weight advantage and other benefits.

I'm thinking about using them in my motor home.

Mac Attack

« Reply #33 on: Sep 26, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Here’s a screenshot from the app on my iPhone.  It shows I have a .389 amp draw (those 2 led bulbs connected) and a 90% SOC (State Of Charge) after about 30 hrs or so of those light bulbs drawing on the battery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.