FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I've never seen this so early in the year...  (Read 1722 times)

taxid

I've never seen this so early in the year...
« on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:06 AM »
March 12th mist rising off the water due to temperature differential. Air temp was 36 F and water temp was 48 F. Ice out was a week ago.

I don't think the pond has been that warm this early, but could be wrong. Temps in the 60's for highs several days in a row with high winds will warm water fast I guess.

False Spring!  Don't be fooled!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
Re: I've never seen this so early in the year...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2021, 12:15 PM »
I don't think southern new England ever had a winter this year.
I was out ice fishing in the lakes region  (NH) on 18-20" of ice last weekend, but this weekend in the Boston outskirts the only place we could ice the past month was in our drinks.

Fortunately the fish are responding to ice out rather nicely.
Fished a small pond I like to target early for pickerel, and was rewarded with lots of bass, one pickerel and a few "hand-sized" sunfish.

What I loved about this is that this pond had a bad "winter-kill" a few years back where most of the biggest fish died under the ice.
If what I caught this weekend is an indication of the population of fish in this pond, it's well of its way to becoming a nice big fish water again.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

Re: I've never seen this so early in the year...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2021, 07:35 PM »
I don't think southern new England ever had a winter this year.
I was out ice fishing in the lakes region  (NH) on 18-20" of ice last weekend, but this weekend in the Boston outskirts the only place we could ice the past month was in our drinks.

Fortunately the fish are responding to ice out rather nicely.
Fished a small pond I like to target early for pickerel, and was rewarded with lots of bass, one pickerel and a few "hand-sized" sunfish.

What I loved about this is that this pond had a bad "winter-kill" a few years back where most of the biggest fish died under the ice.
If what I caught this weekend is an indication of the population of fish in this pond, it's well of its way to becoming a nice big fish water again.

I'm glad for you. Having lived in Mass I know some winters can get lots of snow. But I'm one of those goofy guys that loved those nor'easters.

My trout pond and warm water pond are 55 F. today.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.