FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Clam Farmer.....we are going to be rich!!! PERCH!!!  (Read 5337 times)

Baydog

Re: Clam Farmer.....we are going to be rich!!! PERCH!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 22, 2021, 06:50 PM »
Odd, we have thousands of yellow perch here in Northern Washington county and not one of them would grow to a marketable size......10 inches would be huge here.......I wonder why......

woodchip1

« Reply #16 on: Jun 22, 2021, 07:11 PM »
I read that the lakes with freshwater shrimp  in them give Yellow a chance to grower larger.  After years of leaving them on the ice for the Eagles i only leave the smaller ones now , years ago when in the Country i wondered why the 30'  fiberglass Yellow perch  was hangering on the wall in the olympic skateing arena. after comming back to Maine and filleting some  and eating them I knew why,!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Jun 22, 2021, 07:27 PM »
I was fishing Long Lake Sinclair. We (my wife  :D) filleted 211 and there was only about 1.5 lbs that had dots in the fillets. We did not notice a single grub. I will do some research but I think I read where it is legal to sell yellow perch in Maine. I am sure if someone set up a small buying station and provided ice (very important) the volume and supply would be available. Can they be shipped whole iced?
I am told all of the lakes within the Fish River chain of lakes are over populated with YP. As was mentioned above, the YP compete directly with native brookies. A commercial harvest should help the brookie population within the watershed. From what I saw 2-3 guys should have no problem boating 4-500 lbs a day of YP 9-12" with 10% 13-14"

So how do you keep the brook trout out of the nets that are set for yellow perch?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

woodchip1

« Reply #18 on: Jun 22, 2021, 09:05 PM »
Yellow Lake Perch Fillets - 5 lbs Canadian

Yellow Lake Perch Fillets - 5 lbs

$145.00

In Stock

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
« Reply #19 on: Jun 23, 2021, 03:42 AM »
So how do you keep the brook trout out of the nets that are set for yellow perch?
There are only limited lakes allowed to use nets on. The nets used are pound or hoop nets which just hold the fish alive. All other species must be released alive at once.
Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

Scalloper

« Reply #20 on: Jun 23, 2021, 03:46 AM »
A while ago, some guys got trap net permits from IFW for YP. I think you still can but the lakes are limited where the nets can be used and it’s through the ice only, I believe.
Apparently, they had truck loads of them sold at first. Then it came to a screening halt once the yellow grub was seen in most of the catch. THE END!

LONG LAKE, 6000 ACRES! Good sized lake. LONG RIDE from Hancock!!! It would be interesting to know if the rest of the chain has perch similar. Also, Finding lakes with populations like that and grub free would be good for consistent catches and market stability. HMMM, I know some fish wholesale guys. I’ll do some research. I hate winter clamming, except on nice days.  ;). Might be a good way to ride around the state catching fish and making a few $.

Oh yeah, yellow perch, crappie, suckers, bullheads (horn pout), pike, catfish (I believe) and a few others are salable in Maine. You can’t sell white perch. Given NY and a few other states now have limits on YP catches. there may well be an opportunity here.

I don’t think this place has a commercially large enough population.

The licenses are still offered for $44
https://www1.maine.gov/ifw/docs/yellowperch.pdf

Scalloper

« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2021, 03:51 AM »
As you will notice there are only certain lakes nets are allowed. But its my understanding that all lakes can be fished with hook and line. This would be a opportunity to make a income at some level if someone was to buy whole fish from fishermen.
I understand Long Pond on MDI and Alligator Lake have huge numbers of YP.

CF

« Reply #22 on: Jun 23, 2021, 06:00 AM »
I understand Long Pond on MDI and Alligator Lake have huge numbers of YP.
Yeah, Long Pond has a good population. I wouldn’t call it having a HUGE population, though. The body of water and habitat aren’t expansive enough. A buddy and I took approaching 1000 there this past winter, some pictured above. IFW Greg Burr was proud of us!  :thumbup_smilie:  I still have about 15# of fillets in the freezer. I think I’ll do more YP searching this coming winter. Maybe Alligator will be a destination. I think Moosehead might be a good chance too! Hopefully I can avoid that darn 5# brookie junk by-catch! hehe  :thumbup_smilie:
Formerly CLAMFARMER

seamonkey84

« Reply #23 on: Jun 23, 2021, 07:44 AM »
Yellow perch and other panfish are a blast to catch. If your just a bass fisherman then your missing out on lots of fun. Besides trout, my favorite fish to catch with a fly rod are sunfish.
The black specks are yellow grubs are both the dormant phase of a parasite that finish their life cycle when a bird eats the fish.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Badbrad2186

« Reply #24 on: Jun 23, 2021, 08:09 AM »
I've always wanted to move to Maine u can catch Yellow Perch with my eyes closed. I might have to make a trip this winter and see what I can get into no limit on them is how I like to fish them

filetandrelease

« Reply #25 on: Jun 23, 2021, 08:14 AM »

http:// The Department of Wildlife receives many inquiries each year from people who have seen or caught fish which have yellowish bumps or black spots on their fins or in their flesh. So what are these bumps or spots? And is the fish safe to eat? The answer to the first question is these spots or bumps are caused by the yellow and/or black grubs.
Fish most often infested with grubs are in the sunfish family which includes bluegill, largemouth bass and green sunfish, but grubs can infest all fish species. The yellow grub (Clinostomum complanatum) is the lar- val stage of a parasitic fluke which must be eaten by fish eating birds, such as herons, egrets and bitterns. The grub matures in the throat of the bird, and eggs wash into the water from the bird’s mouth when feeding. The eggs hatch and the first larval stage, called miracidia, swim by means of fine hair like cilia until they find a snail of genus (Helisoma). Unless they find this snail they die within a few hours.
While living and growing in their snail host, the parasite goes through several developmental stages during which they multiply, finally leaving the snail as a free swimming cercariae. Unless the cercariae find a fish within a few hours, they also die. Should the cercariae
attach themselves to a fish, they burrow through the skin and encyst where they develop into metacercariae, which are the yellow grubs. There
they remain until eaten by the bird host, thus completing the life cycle.
The grubs may live for
several years in the
fish. It is possible that
yellow grub may kill fish under some cir- cumstances, but normally a fish is not adversely affected by the parasite.
The life cycle of the black grub (Climostomum neascus) is basically the same except the grub embeds in the bird’s intestines and eggs are passed out in waste. Some people find the thought of eating fish with grubs offen- sive but grubs are not harmful to humans.
So are your fish fillets with grubs in them safe to eat? If fish are properly cleaned and cooked thoroughly, this will kill any parasite or bacteria and the fla- vor of the fish is unaffected.
So how can you get rid of fish grubs? Well, unfortunately, the total elimination of these parasites can prove to be very difficult. Snails and fish-eating birds can- not be kept out of ponds at certain times, but any measure taken to disturb the life cycle of the grub will lower the number
Fish Grubs
 What exactly are they and where did they come from?
By John Davenport, Holdenville State Fish Hatchery manager
of grubs found in fish. Several steps can be taken to reduce the number of snails in a pond. Because snails feed on aquat-
ic plants, the reduction of plants in ponds will reduce their food source and lower the number of
snails. Mowing the sides of the pond will allow the sun and wind to dry vegetation and decrease egg masses laid by snails.
The stocking of red-eared sunfish, often known by the nickname, “shell crackers” can sometimes be used because these fish are known to eat snails. A combina- tion of these techniques can be used to further reduce the snail population. There are many varieties of bird scare devices on the market today to frighten birds away. Varying the times and vari- eties of techniques used will help keep birds from becoming accustomed to the methods being used. Shooting birds may not be an option because many birds are protected by federal law.
 Some people find the thought of eating fish grubs offensive but grubs are not harmful to humans.
  Life History of Yellow Grub Parasite
1 Snail, first intermediate host. Larval grub makes several changes of form while in snail.
2 Free-swimming fork-tailed larva.
3 Fish, second intermediate host. Grubs encysted under skin.
4 Fish-eating bird, primary host. Adult grub lives in mouth and throat.
5 Mature egg.
6 Free-swimmi

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Jun 23, 2021, 08:33 AM »
There are only limited lakes allowed to use nets on. The nets used are pound or hoop nets which just hold the fish alive. All other species must be released alive at once.

Fish that are held in any kind of net get kind of beat up don't they? At least that has been my experience raising and netting fish. I wouldn't want to be a smooth scaled fish like a brook trout banging around in a hoop net with rougher scaled fish like yellow perch.

I assume you'd have to sell the fish in the round vs. filleted as filleting them would require HACCP plan?

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MarkNFish

« Reply #27 on: Jun 23, 2021, 08:51 AM »
I have a camp on Alligator and I can say from experience that there are some large numbers of YP, and that some of them reach large size.  As Scalloper noted, when my nephews want to "go real fishing," we can quickly catch a dozen in a half hour or so without really trying.  Whether or not the population would be commercially viable, I can't say.  I do know that the eagles eat good at times.  They will literally follow me when I'm trolling 8)

CF

« Reply #28 on: Jun 23, 2021, 09:51 AM »
Fish that are held in any kind of net get kind of beat up don't they? At least that has been my experience raising and netting fish. I wouldn't want to be a smooth scaled fish like a brook trout banging around in a hoop net with rougher scaled fish like yellow perch.

I assume you'd have to sell the fish in the round vs. filleted as filleting them would require HACCP plan?

I would need to look at the list of lakes, but I believe  the ones allowing nets are not trout waters, are warm water species waters. I’m not sure that counts scrubber water as  “trout water”.
Yeah, HACCP. Probably need HACCP for whole fish as well. Much simpler plan though. I was HACCP trained and certified  years ago. I likely need an update as things have gotten more complex and specific, especially for shellfish and scombroid fish species (species want can form histamines if not properly handled)  such as tuna, mackeral bluefish, etc....  I don’t believe any are freshwater species.
Just FYI:
"Scombroid occurs from eating fish high in histamine due to inappropriate storage or processing. Fish commonly implicated include tuna, mackerel, mahi mahi, sardine, anchovy, herring, bluefish, amberjack, and marlin.”
 "What is scombroid poisoning?
Scombroid poisoning is a type of food intoxication caused by the consumption of scombroid and scombroid-like marine fish species that have begun to spoil with the growth of particular types of food bacteria. Fish most commonly involved are members of the Scombridae family (tunas and mackerels), and a few non-scombroid relatives (bluefish, dolphin or mahi-mahi, and amberjacks). A few additional species have been implicated, but they are of less concern relative to popular fish consumption. The suspect toxin is an elevated level of histamine generated by bacterial degradation of substances in the muscle protein. This natural spoilage process is thought to release additional by-products which potentiate the toxic effect. The potential toxins are not destroyed by freezing, cooking, smoking, curing or canning.
https://www.fda.gov/food/seafood-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/scombrotoxin-poisoning-and-decomposition
Formerly CLAMFARMER

CF

« Reply #29 on: Jun 23, 2021, 10:01 AM »
THANKS F&R!!!
http:// The Department of Wildlife receives many inquiries each year from people who have seen or caught fish which have yellowish bumps or black spots on their fins or in their flesh. So what are these bumps or spots? And is the fish safe to eat? The answer to the first question is these spots or bumps are caused by the yellow and/or black grubs........
 What exactly are they and where did they come from?
By John Davenport, Holdenville State Fish Hatchery manager
of grubs found in fish. Several steps can be taken to reduce the number of snails in a pond. Because snails feed on aquat-
ic plants, the reduction of plants in ponds will reduce their food source and lower the number of
snails. Mowing the sides of the pond will allow the sun and wind to dry vegetation and decrease egg masses laid by snails.
The stocking of red-eared sunfish, often known by the nickname, “shell crackers” can sometimes be used because these fish are known to eat snails. A combina- tion of these techniques can be used to further reduce the snail population. There are many varieties of bird scare devices on the market today to frighten birds away. Varying the times and vari- eties of techniques used will help keep birds from becoming accustomed to the methods being used. Shooting birds may not be an option because many birds are protected by federal law.
 Some people find the thought of eating fish grubs offensive but grubs are not harmful to humans.
  Life History of Yellow Grub Parasite
1 Snail, first intermediate host. Larval grub makes several changes of form while in snail.
2 Free-swimming fork-tailed larva.
3 Fish, second intermediate host. Grubs encysted under skin.
4 Fish-eating bird, primary host. Adult grub lives in mouth and throat.
5 Mature egg.
6 Free-swimmi
Formerly CLAMFARMER

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.