FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: night trollers?  (Read 703 times)

fishogger

night trollers?
« on: Jul 16, 2021, 08:35 AM »
who trolls at night and for what kind offish? 

i been getting some 9-11" gills while trout fishing at night.  i troll gills in mid summer over the basin in the daytime.  im wondering if i cant troll up some hog gill at night.  going to try some glow blades on my daytime spinner rigs and see.  any thoughts or tip for night trolling from you "long liners" appreciated.

i tied up a couple glow blade spinners and some orange blades today.  ready to test on next night run.

some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

https://xyz.frankspeech.com/

taxid

Re: night trollers?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2021, 12:50 PM »
I troll websites a lot at night. Does that count?  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2021, 02:13 PM »
I have always thought about trolling for the walleye out here at night just catch them in the daylight enough that I have not tried it. But your rigs look good I bet they will work good for you.

fishinator

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2021, 05:04 PM »
I head to maxinkuckee at least one night in the middle of summer and troll just to have something to do and escape the heat.  We always manage to catch exactly 1 walleye. No more, no less.

fishogger

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2021, 09:13 AM »
i cast for walleye at night.  they are too shallow to troll with messing with planer boards.  there are too many weeds to deal with.  im talking open water suspended summer gills.  and it did work!  the only glow blades i had to make rigs were #2 though. a tad too big imo.  ill order some #0s and it will be on.  i caught a few gill but mostly crappie.  im sure with the smaller blades it will be more productive for my targeted species.

all the gills that hit(or were caught) were 8"+ at least.  i find that in daytime too.  most all fish that hit these spinners are 7"+ .  rarely will i get them too small to keep doing this.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2021, 09:27 AM »
i cast for walleye at night.  they are too shallow to troll with messing with planer boards.  there are too many weeds to deal with.  im talking open water suspended summer gills.  and it did work!  the only glow blades i had to make rigs were #2 though. a tad too big imo.  ill order some #0s and it will be on.  i caught a few gill but mostly crappie.  im sure with the smaller blades it will be more productive for my targeted species.

all the gills that hit(or were caught) were 8"+ at least.  i find that in daytime too.  most all fish that hit these spinners are 7"+ .  rarely will i get them too small to keep doing this.

Tim you amaze me with your knowledge and skills!

As of this week my taxidermy freezer is finally empty and now I can concentrate on getting the 50 fish hanging from the rafters done and maybe we can get together again. I may not retire from fish taxidermy but will limit how much I take in. Just SS doesn't cut it and the wife wants to buy a new car.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishogger

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2021, 02:33 PM »
oh stop it my head will swell then ill get a migraine. lol  but thanks, that means a lot coming from an educated fish head like you.  i always enjoy chewing the fat with you and learning your side(science) of the game.  you have taught me plenty if you didnt know.  get those fish done before the leaves change.  thats when the bigguns come to hand around here.

ill have to give piggyn credit for the spinners.  he got me trolling again which i never really enjoyed when younger.  i have just changed and added some wrinkles to how he showed me.  the night trolling thing just came up from opportunity.  i think you could catch more at night jigging them under a light.(on the rite lakes of course) maybe trolling a light back by your spinners would up the catch rate? and some rattles couldnt hurt. dont think ill ever take it that far though. lol  i am going to paint some cranks glow and try those though!!!!!!!  ;)

ICEHOLE

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2021, 12:59 PM »
there are a few local ponds to me that the gills are savage. havnt been out much this year with the baby but the last few years i picked up lots of pan fish when i get lazy and pull a swim bait behind the yak with a slow paddle.
ive caught just as many gills/ crappies on a Spro rats as i do bass some nights.
never would imagine a panfish would try and eat a full size rat...but they try
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.