FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What do you use for a boat trailer jack in case of a flat?  (Read 2800 times)

taxid

I've always had a scissor jack but have to block it up to reach the frame. So I have to carry extra crap to make it work.

Was thinking of getting an old fashioned bumper jack, but not sure if I can secure it under the frame. It's been so long since I've used one!

I got one of those you back up to to erect, and even used it once for a flat and got it to work, but tried it out a while back and it kept sliding. Don't really care for it.

Below is the one I don't like.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

Re: What do you use for a boat trailer jack in case of a flat?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2021, 05:57 PM »

I use a 8 ton bottle jack  , the scissor jack is a pain getting out and packing back up 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2021, 06:23 PM »
Never had a flat on my boat trailer. Only been 40 years or so of dragging. I suppose it could happen.
Guess I’d use the Jack from the car.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinjohn

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2021, 06:47 PM »
Never had a flat on my boat trailer. Only been 40 years or so of dragging. I suppose it could happen.
Guess I’d use the Jack from the car.
25 years and I've only had 1... hope it's the only one I get ..
But I'd use a car jack also

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2021, 07:28 PM »
Years ago I bought a short hydraulic floor jack in its own hard plastic case from Kmart.  Was like $25.
Have used it on my sled trailers, utility trailer, and all my boat trailers.
A floor jack is far easier than a bottle jack to get under the axle.  No crawling around under the rig on the side of the road.  This was especially important in the winter on the sled trailers.
If you have never had a flat on a trailer then you don’t trailer that often or very far………. or both.
I always buy tires over rated for my trailers and replace them when needed.
However, I’ve still had flats over the years.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2021, 08:59 PM »
I've had one flat on my boat trailer.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2021, 04:04 AM »
 a 4 way lug wrench saves changing time , I’ve traveled to different states and all 3 of my flats have been local 30 miles or less , I believe flats are just an unlucky happening , i to buy better rated tires and I also lube the studs

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2021, 06:04 AM »
Like Mac I have a small cheep floor jack from harbor freight. It actually fits in the compartment under the back seat of my truck.  Along with a two foot breaker bar, six inch extension and a couple different size sockets.   
 Only used it on my boat trailer once .
But several times on others trailers and a few stranded motorist along the road..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

iceman260

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2021, 06:47 AM »
I use my truck Jack, flat tires don't happen very often. In 40 years of towing trailers I have had maybe 3 or 4 flats on them. I do carry a 4 way lug wrench.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2021, 11:36 AM »
Now I feel stupid which I probably am. One of my issues with the scissor jack I had is it wouldn't reach the frame on the tire side to jack up the trailer, so I had to bring a couple of 4 X 4 blocks of wood to reach it. Turns out the steel framing that houses the axle is much lower so all I have to does use is that.  :-[

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2021, 02:55 PM »

Along with a two foot breaker bar, six inch extension and a couple different size sockets.   

Yup - forgot this.  Very important.

Also, on sled trailers -
Throw out the lug nuts and buy closed end acorn style lug nuts.
And neverseize or greese them a little bit.
Yea, someone will say to never use neverseize as they will come loose - I have never had that happen.
Sled trailers run in the salt and crap and the lugnuts will get rusted.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2021, 03:04 PM »
Yup - forgot this.  Very important.

Also, on sled trailers -
Throw out the lug nuts and buy closed end acorn style lug nuts.
And neverseize or greese them a little bit.
Yea, someone will say to never use neverseize as they will come loose - I have never had that happen.
Sled trailers run in the salt and crap and the lugnuts will get rusted.

X2👍👍👍👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2021, 08:39 PM »
Im with ya Mac.  We always used anti-seize and torque to spec.  Never an issue.  Dont do it in new england and you end up replacing wheel studs...

Knock on wood but no trailer flats for me yet. Have a jack in the truck.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2021, 08:59 PM »
Yea, take an umbrella to work and it will never rain.

;)

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2021, 09:39 PM »
I do the same as Raq and Mac. I keep a tote in the back of my truck year 'round. Small 2 ton jack , wood for cribbing , tow strap and chain , "T" wrench aand jumperr cables. Small tool kit under my back seat

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.