FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Learned a very valuable lesson when it comes to big lakes 7 miles long...  (Read 2480 times)

taxid

Rented a cottage with a dock via VRBO for a week, and after launching the boat I tied off to the dock in two places like I usually do.

With a long fetch and days with strong winds moving the boat from one side of the dock to the other depending on the wind direction did help, but it was not uncommon for the wind direction to change 180 degrees in one day on this north south facing lake.

One day unfortunately the wave action apparently abraided and broke one of my ropes tied to the bow while I was away, causing the stern that was still tied up to face into the waves. This swamped the boat right next to the boat dock. The entire boat was under water including my outboard. Fortunately with some help I was able to pull the boat up on what little bank was available and get the water out. When I took the cover off the motor apparently it was sealed enough that it stayed dry as a bone and the motor ran as if nothing happened. Needless to say I took the boat out of the lake and it stayed on the trailer for the rest of my stay. 

Everyone on that lake has their boat on a lift! I now know why!

So if I rent again it will be in a protected cove, much smaller lake, or a with a lift!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinjohn

Sounds like you got lucky taxid!!!!!!!
Glad the boat is unharmed other than a really good bath!!!!
Good thing both lines didnt break free and have it blown away out on the lake somewhere unmanned

taxid

Sounds like you got lucky taxid!!!!!!!
Glad the boat is unharmed other than a really good bath!!!!
Good thing both lines didnt break free and have it blown away out on the lake somewhere unmanned

For sure! Actually it would have probably rammed the expensive pontoon boat of the neighboring cottage, which would have been a disaster!

We did loose a floating minnow bucket of minnows. Nowhere to be found on the bottom (if it broke up) so it must have floated down wind somewhere.

Sadly the lake is not what I remember fishing there years ago, possibly due to zebra mussels, although strangely I didn't see any on the bottom anywhere. Maybe they overforaged the zooplankton and died off? Water was so clear it looked sterile. You can see 30 feet to the bottom in nearby Lake Huron at an abandoned Rock Quarry/ Harbor on the lake. Caught a little 10 inch smallmouth there and a few gobies and that was it. Salmon haven't even made there main run up a local river. The water is too warm.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinjohn

Cool picture too!!!

taxid

Cool picture too!!!

I downloaded it from the Internet. Haven't located my camera yet.

taxid

man that sucked but could been worse. amazing the cover sealed that good. lol  could still have seeped up into cylinders though threw exhaust.  you better run the crap outa that thing before you set it in shop for winter!  take it and run wide open and get her all heated up.  if moisture in its cylinders or crank case she mite not turn come spring.

did you catch any fish(eyes) in that shallow lake?  if so where and why you think they were there.  did you fish after dark at all?

The lake is nothing like it was when I lived up there and fished it in the 1970's. Lots of dink perch now. If you ask me the zebras have decimated the food chain. Looks like swimming pool water now.

It was too windy to night fish.

lowaccord66

The lake is nothing like it was when I lived up there and fished it in the 1970's. Lots of dink perch now. If you ask me the zebras have decimated the food chain. Looks like swimming pool water now.

It was too windy to night fish.

Some of the most viable fisheries in the world have zebra mussles though?

filetandrelease

That’s true Jon , just look at  Lake Ontario , Lake Erie , and much smaller Oneida lake ,
 All great fisheries 

taxid

Some of the most viable fisheries in the world have zebra mussles though?

I can't speak for the other Great Lakes, but for me Lake Huron and Lake Michigan are nowhere near what they were back in the 70's when I fished them. And I am not alone in that sentiment. Even the jumbo spring perch runs are now history. The water is so clear up on Lake Huron you can see shipwrecks on the bottom that you could never see before. That means lower productivity in the food chain. Another downside to ultra clear water are noxious algae growing in deeper water that sometimes come to the surface and clog and stink up shorelines. And nutrients going into excessive benthic algae and macrophytes are not being utilized by gamefish.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-met-lake-michigan-water-clarity-20180126-story.html

lowaccord66

taxid

lowaccord66

Your link won't come up for me.

Fixed.

taxid

https://youtu.be/CTXVtHVUjcE

Long but relevant.

Thanks! Looks very interesting! Unfortunately right now I'm over at my parent's place watching my elderly mother while my dad gets much needed sleep as he's up all night with her. Hard to do uninterrupted reading while I'm here as she requires a lot of attention.

lowaccord66

When you vet time Cecil....I think youll appreciate it.  I always forget about Huron so I went looking on youtube and found that gem.

taxid

Thanks Iowaccord66.  Interesting presentations. Looks like the Great Lakes are reaching a new equlibrium.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.