FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any suggestions for a really remote fishing camp in Canada next summer?  (Read 3159 times)

taxid

Some place really out of the way that I can fly to? As in fly off locally (from Indiana) then the last leg a float plane? Boat and cabin provided at the location. All catch and release is fine with me. I would prefer to be able to catch both salmonids -- both lake trout and brook, but also in the same location walleye, northern pike, and possibly other species.

I'm open to Ontario or Quebec.

I just came back from northern Michigan and have never seen so many cottages and people on a lake that had very few back when I attended college there. It depresses me to see how developed everything is these days. And the fishing was nothing like I remember.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ran7ger

i know it's not ont or que but check out gods lake, manitoba.
got a fish on the line and my boat on the water
and it's gettin' near time to take the cows to the slaughter

Mac Attack

Not terribly remote, but an awesome place nonetheless.

https://island10.com/

Dirt23

Manitoba for sure I believe Bakers lodge some guys on you tube frequent there catch monster Lakers, Pike , and some nice walleye

taxid

Thank you gentlemen I will check those out.

I got some good leads on Facebook Brook Trout Nation too.

This one all the way over in BC is probably out of my price range but holy Batman!

https://www.fortresslake.com

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

lowaccord66

Great slave lake is on my list. Lets hope they keep the border open.

taxid

Great slave lake is on my list. Lets hope they keep the border open.

Yes and for the lodge owners too! They must have taken a big financial hit!

Mac Attack

Yes and for the lodge owners too! They must have taken a big financial hit!

I posted that link to Island 10.
Over the years, I have gotten to know the owners obviously.
I can tell you, from what they have told me, all Canadian fishing/hunting lodges are hurting big time!!

taxid

I posted that link to Island 10.
Over the years, I have gotten to know the owners obviously.
I can tell you, from what they have told me, all Canadian fishing/hunting lodges are hurting big time!!

That's a shame. I will definitely give them my business next year!

lowaccord66

That's a shame. I will definitely give them my business next year!

Let's see.  Their government is almost as bad as Australia with the covid stuff.  To a point they do not care if they crush these small businesses. 

But if we are good to go...Im headed up too.  Lake Simcoe has been on my ice fishing last for years.

taxid

Let's see.  Their government is almost as bad as Australia with the covid stuff.  To a point they do not care if they crush these small businesses. 

But if we are good to go...Im headed up too.  Lake Simcoe has been on my ice fishing last for years.

Come on now Iowaaccord66 let's not get political here. We know what happens to a thread when that happens.

I know anglers that have been to Lake Simcoe. Awesome perch fishing. Personally I would opt for late ice when they take you out on airboats due to unsafe ice, but the perch are on fire. 

I organized an ice fishing trip to Devil's Lake North Dakota once for 12 people (back when I did an outdoor column). The fishing did not live up to the hype even with guides. The freshwater shrimp are so abundant in the lake, the perch were somewhat finicky. We caught some nice 12 inchers, but they were few and far between. A nearby smaller lake (Lake Cavenaugh) produced bigger perch. There was also a small lake next to Devil's Lake, that was in he process of being swallowed, by Devil's Lake that was good for numbers of smaller fish.

What really blew me away was the thickness of the ice. Between 3 and 4 feet the first week of March! No issues driving on the ice. The guides used extensions on their gas powered augers.

taxid

what was your outdoor column taxid?

and id agree with what was posted. its a shame what is happening in some places.

The outdoor column was in the Goshen News. I had Amish guys tell me they got the paper just to read my column!  :rotflol: I covered everything from fishing to hunting to weather and and on. Lots of interesting things people did't know about the outdoors and related phenomenon. On a funny note I once did an article asking why Walmart was selling deer bait which was illegal. My next trip into Walmart all the bait was gone!  :rotflol:

I was getting only $25.00 a week and wanted to expand and go out and interview people etc. so I asked for a raise. They didn't respond so I told them adios.

lowaccord66

Come on now Iowaaccord66 let's not get political here. We know what happens to a thread when that happens.

I know anglers that have been to Lake Simcoe. Awesome perch fishing. Personally I would opt for late ice when they take you out on airboats due to unsafe ice, but the perch are on fire. 

I organized an ice fishing trip to Devil's Lake North Dakota once for 12 people (back when I did an outdoor column). The fishing did not live up to the hype even with guides. The freshwater shrimp are so abundant in the lake, the perch were somewhat finicky. We caught some nice 12 inchers, but they were few and far between. A nearby smaller lake (Lake Cavenaugh) produced bigger perch. There was also a small lake next to Devil's Lake, that was in he process of being swallowed, by Devil's Lake that was good for numbers of smaller fish.

What really blew me away was the thickness of the ice. Between 3 and 4 feet the first week of March! No issues driving on the ice. The guides used extensions on their gas powered augers.

Please call me Jon...its not political, because I am not political at all.  No affiliations and I dont watch the news, do social media, or any of that noise.  Just a tactical mention as those two countries share similar sentiments regarding covid and outsiders, and that could effect our desires to go to Canada.

taxid

Please call me Jon...its not political, because I am not political at all.  No affiliations and I dont watch the news, do social media, or any of that noise.  Just a tactical mention as those two countries share similar sentiments regarding covid and outsiders, and that could effect our desires to go to Canada.

I suppose Jon, but when you refer to your destain of a political figure, which in that case was the prime minister of Canada you make it political.

Let's just let it pass eh?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.