FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Change of Plans  (Read 651 times)

bogtrotter

Change of Plans
« on: Sep 25, 2021, 05:37 PM »
For the past few years, a couple buddies and I have made a point of going to VT and NY on the Free Fishing Days there, and combining a fishing trip with a visit to a brew pub afterward.

Today was the last Free Fishing Day for NY in 2021, and we had plans to gok but we had so much rain Thursday night and into Friday that we chose to scrub our expedition because the rivers would be blown out.

As a result, I was at loose ends today - - so after my usual Saturday morning rounds, and dropping my younger son off at the gym, I went fishing on Hudson Brook in North Adams from 10:15 to 11:45 AM.

My theory (which was essentially borne out) was that a smaller brook wouldn't rise as much as the bigger rivers.

It was sunny and 65 degrees with a pleasant freshness to the air.

I ended up with two brookies (one 9" and one 12") and three browns (one 9", one 10" and one 11").

Then, after picking up my son and dropping him off at home, I decided to try my luck on the South Branch of the Hoosic, from Mullen Mayflower to Elm Rock in Adams, from 12:15 to 2:15 PM, since it  generally rises less than the other two branches of the Hoosic when it rains.

By this time, it was slightly warmer (70), but the weather was otherwise still basically the same.

this time, I caught two brookies (one 8" and one 12"), two browns (one 10" and one 11") and two rainbows (both 13") .

Plus I lost a bigger (16" to 18") rainbow when the line snapped near the hook just as I was trying to haul him up onto the small roll dam that I was standing on a little ways upstream from Elm Rock.   Oh well, he'll still be there the next time I go fishing.

Bartman44

Re: Change of Plans
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2021, 06:20 PM »
2.5 inches of rain in a night will change my plans too. You caught a nice mix of fish anyways. Good going. 

lowaccord66

Re: Change of Plans
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2021, 08:39 AM »
Way to go Jim.  Fly shop called me yesterday both of my broken thomas and thomas rods are back.  Going to be after the trout hard soon. 

Had the fly rods out yesterday for albies, stripers and blues!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.