FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: shrooms on hard  (Read 1850 times)

fishogger

Re: shrooms on hard
« Reply #30 on: Oct 10, 2021, 05:56 AM »
staub, dinkgetter turned me onto sautťing them before freezing.  this my first year trying it.  if you freeze them raw they will be ok but mushy when thawed out.  thats ok for tossing in soups and stuff though.  i just used butter in a pot with a lid. simmer slow enough not to burn the butter stirring every now and then.  they taste pretty good that way.  i froze mine in small ziplocs for easy use threw winter.  ill pull out and toss in some store bought cream mushroom soup to pep it up.

most mine come off oak or locust trees.  im sure you've read about not picking them from conifers. they must grow on many different trees.
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

https://xyz.frankspeech.com/

Piggyn

« Reply #31 on: Oct 10, 2021, 12:02 PM »
Couple chicken questions: I have only found them on cherry trees, does anyone find them on other wood and if so what?

I have found them on black cherry and locust trees, but the overwhelming majority come off of oaks... as well as downed logs or stumps where it's not always easy to ID the tree.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #32 on: Oct 10, 2021, 05:02 PM »
Found this specimen at base of oak tree today.Iím hoping it a hen for those that hunt fall shrooms let me know!

Piggyn

« Reply #33 on: Oct 10, 2021, 05:26 PM »
Found this specimen at base of oak tree today.Iím hoping it a hen for those that hunt fall shrooms let me know!

It's a hen.  Enjoy!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #34 on: Oct 10, 2021, 05:46 PM »
Thanks piggyman it will be my first taste of one

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #35 on: Oct 10, 2021, 05:52 PM »
Sorry for the spelling wasnít paying attention!

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #36 on: Oct 10, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Wow I have to find more ,I think they are better than the morels!

abishop

« Reply #38 on: Oct 11, 2021, 09:35 AM »
Wow I have to find more ,I think they are better than the morels!
I agree, very good taste. And much easier to find and LARGER.

abishop

« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2021, 08:49 AM »
I was curious if you recommend soaking in salt water before de-hydrating for freezer? I know you should get the bugs out at some time, but, I was thinking by soaking first they would take on a lot of extra water making the de-hydrating process much longer? I have never tried them this way. Any suggestions? My son is bring me some. Haven't used the de-hydrater in years. Thought I would brush off the cob webs.

fishogger

« Reply #40 on: Oct 14, 2021, 09:11 AM »
google it and learn for yourself.  i never dehydrated any mushrooms before but thats what id do.  you didnt state what kind he is hunting and harvesting for you either.  mite make a difference.

fishinator

« Reply #41 on: Oct 14, 2021, 10:48 AM »
I have never dehydrated them either, but I also never soak any mushrooms in water. It takes away a lot of flavor and changes the consistency too much for my liking.

abishop

« Reply #42 on: Oct 14, 2021, 11:15 AM »
google it and learn for yourself.  i never dehydrated any mushrooms before but thats what id do.  you didnt state what kind he is hunting and harvesting for you either.  mite make a difference.
Thanks once again. Probably doesn't make a difference, but, I was considering sheep head mushrooms. I always soap my morels in salt water to get all the bugs out. May be just me??????

fishogger

« Reply #43 on: Oct 14, 2021, 04:46 PM »
sure thing.  i dont think all shrooms are fit for dehydrating so best to read up. unless your out beating the bush finding a bunch there is no need to save them.  best eaten fresh till you cant fit anymore.  ;D

fishogger

« Reply #44 on: Oct 15, 2021, 04:21 AM »
well i thought i had found the motherload of shaggy parasols!  i brought a couple home to spore print them to make sure.  first day yielded no print.  i wondered if i picked them too soon or something.  i let them lay another day thought to see.  got up this morning and seen threy finally printed for me.  not the white spores i was hoping for though unfortunately.  they turned out to be a lookalike called the "vomiter".  a green spore parasol thats poison.

here is the print

a very important note here on this.  your supposed to print on black and white paper in order to see color better. i did this as always.  well a funny thing happened.  the print on the black paper looked white which would have indicated an edible parasol. there was another cap just laying on brown cardboard.  that printed green on the cardboard. the white paper one didnt show up.  if i hadnt had any laying on the cardboard i mite have thought they were edible!!!  from now on my spore prints will include bare cardboard too!  goes to show how things can mislead.  thanks to luck puking my guts out was avoided. lmao

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.