FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Short fall fishing trip  (Read 934 times)

bigr

Short fall fishing trip
« on: Oct 11, 2021, 11:43 AM »
Last week I took three days to do nothing but fish and relax. Both were just what the doctor ordered. Gils up to 1lb5oz, crappie to1lb7oz and bass 5lb plus. Weather was alittle warmer than I like but still nice. Caldwell and McColley seemed to possible be turning over so the numbers were down but not the size. Can't wait for my next get away in a week or so. 

LundProv

Re: Short fall fishing trip
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2021, 05:20 PM »
Good for you Bigr...  I always enjoy reading your fishing information but you leave us begging for more.  So, did you stay close to home?  Fish shallow? Deep? Mornings? Late afternoons? Any unique techniques? What did the beasts of each species fall victim to?  So many questions and so few details...  You know I am pulling your leg... a bit... maybe... Inquiring minds like to know...  glad you got out and enjoyed creation...

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2021, 07:08 AM »
Depending on the species and lake will determined the tech. The tech was determined from many years of fishing each body of water at this time of year. Hasn't changed much over the years. For the crappie I found them slow trolling 16oz jigs across main body of lake over 20 to 40 foot of water. Very suspended. I'm guessing crappie were in the 8 to 10 ft range. Scattered but consistent. No tight schools. Gils were also suspended over the deep water and down around the 12ft depth. Wigglers on very lite line using a hook small enough to be all but hidden inside the wiggler. Best bite were in areas of the lake that had a chop which caused a slow drift across area. After a drift I would reposition. These tech's were on Caldwell. On mccoulley spinners working the edges worked well as did Berkley power worms texas rigged for the really big bass. Biggest I lipped was 5lb even but touched one I'm sure bested 8lbs. Biggest I've seen in many years. For crappie a 32oz jig with a tube under a bobber worked in the tree tops. Lake was turning over so the bite was not what I expect but I'm sure on my next trip things should be better. Both lakes are close to home here in Wabash. Some might think I'm giving too much info on lakes and tech's but  really good lakes are not easy lakes. I'm lucky I've fished the area my whole life and with guys that taught me the best ways to be more productive. I've put in a lot of hard work learning the lakes I fish. I think that's the most important thing to catching quality fish. This is the best time of year to be out. Give your favorite lake a try or get on a new lake. Keep a log like I did for years and you'll be able to put together a consistent pattern for different times of year on different bodies of water. I know from years past the resi's will be getting good and best areas for my type of fishing. Same ideal applies for the different species. I chase what I think should be my best bite. The best bite does overlap species so many times a good mixed bag can happen. I know this post is long winded but it's a slow day at work and I'm already day dreaming about my next trip out.           

Hexagenia51

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2021, 08:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing your hard earned fishing knowledge. Used to keep a journal awhile back but didn’t keep up with it, now I just make notes on the calendar. Congratulations on your fishing success, Bigr and good luck on your future outings. Hex

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2021, 06:57 AM »
Good job bigr!!!
From your writing can tell you have things zeroed in for sure. Fall fishing is great in my estimation but I love all the seasons.
Hoping to get out soon. Still in rehab but slowly mowed my yard Friday and Sunday so making progress.
Get out there as often as you can!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.