FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat transport  (Read 1575 times)

5-flags

Boat transport
« on: Jul 11, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Hi everyone!! I am going to the 1000 islands on a 10 day fishing trip. Can't wait! However my brother went out and bought a 16 foot boat instead of the 12 footer he was supposed to take. I have a 14 ft mirrorcraft. Can we transport the boats with my boat on top of his on 2x4's with mine upside down? I have never seen this done, but my boat does fit just inside of his. I don't want  any trouble going into Canada. Any help would be great

Thanks   Flags

LoneStar

Re: Boat transport
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2005, 10:34 AM »
I take it that more than just you and your brother are taking this trip!

Really can't answer your question legally but when I was a kid we used to go to Canada with the boat on top of the car (loaded) using cartop carriers, that was back when they made cars out of  metal  ;D  I am sure we were overloaded as we could be and real lucky we never had any problems but that was back then and things have change a heck of a lot.

Safety first I  guess the next question is what is the trailer rated to haul?  Tire rating etc.  heck I have seen these guys hauling canoes stacked 6 high x3 wide!

Good luck on the trip, know you are gonna catch fish, one of these days Ima gonna go back up there!
Don't matter how good you are, you won't get'em all!  Don't matter how bad you are, you'll still get some!

5-flags

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2005, 11:33 AM »
The trailer is rated for 3200 lbs, and the tires and springs didn't change much when we placed my boat on his, but we didn't put my 18hp evinrude in the bottom of his boat either. thanks for the feed back though.

wannagofishin

• fish on!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2005, 02:28 PM »
do you have a truck??  if you do just put the 14 foot boat in back of the truck, we do it with my 14 foot boat all the time.
a bad day of fishin is better than a good day at school

5-flags

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2005, 02:52 PM »
No truck for this trip. SO this is what we need to do if it is legal. It looks pretty crazy! I think it will work just fine, but just wanted some feedback

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2005, 03:26 PM »
im sure legality wont be a problem as long as it is stable . a word of caution on putting the outboard down in the bottom of the boat, be sure to put lifejackets or something under it. one time i took a 250 mile trip with the motor sitting right on the floor of my 12' aluminum and when i got there i found the motor had worn a hole right through my boat from the bumps  :-\  i would also make sure you can see in both boats as well to avoid customs making you break it down so they can see whats in it.  good luck sounds like a great vacation  :)
Scotty 

5-flags

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2005, 04:10 PM »
That is some excellent advice! Thanks If worse comes to worse we might have to unstrap one side and tip it up so they could take a look see!

kerosenecounty17

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2005, 06:37 PM »
That's the way we used to do it with no problems.  On your 2x4's between the boats nail 4 blocks - 2 that fit inside the lower boat and 2 that fit outside the upper boat.  This will keep the top boat from shifting side to side as you're going.  I'd also invest in a good set of ratchet straps to secure it all down if you don't already have them. 

kc17

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.