FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ok lets hear em, your favorite panfish recipes...  (Read 5183 times)

transplantfromMN

Ok lets hear em, your favorite panfish recipes...
« on: Jul 19, 2005, 11:09 AM »
This past weekend we were knee deep into the bluegill while camping and I was thinking this would be a great topic.. Help me out on this I have an hancerin for some gill..

fishryc

Re: Ok lets hear em, your favorite panfish recipes...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2005, 01:26 PM »
I’ve been doing them another way in lieu of boneless, skinless, breaded fillets lately and have enjoyed them so much more; I’ll probably not fillet them again. It is, however, a little more work- but well worth the effort. Scale them, remove the fins, head, and guts, then split the skin on the back and belly in the area between the tail and where the dorsal and anal fins were removed (this allows the cooked fish to peel away easier). Rinse well, pat dry, and sprinkle with salt and set aside 15 minutes. Sprinkle heavily with onion powder (not onion salt) and pan fry them on medium in a generous amount of margarine with a splash of cooking oil added. Flip only once when the onion powder is dark and crispy. With both sides dark and crispy, the meat will peel away from the bones cleanly, except for the ribs; but these rib bones are easily plucked off. No lost meat at all, as in fillets. Great with any panfish- Enjoy
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

devil-man

Re: Ok lets hear em, your favorite panfish recipes...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2005, 05:20 PM »
I have had Fishryc's recipe prepared by the man himself. It is very good.
The way I make them requires more fish, because I fillet and skin them.
Some meat is wasted...
'Gills dipped in the batter of your choice and flash-fried is my MO.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.