FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Minn kota ulterra problems and solutions  (Read 4849 times)

Pequod1

Minn kota ulterra problems and solutions
« on: Sep 25, 2023, 02:23 PM »
After 3 months of learning and using the ulterra the thing that I dreaded most happened - the ulterra did not stow.
Here’s what I did. First checked circuit breaker and power. All good.  Pulled plug , waited and plugged it back in.  Nothing.  Did a re pairing  of the unit with the remote - nothing. 
Here’s what worked.  Shut off. Wait  a couple minutes. Turn on and wait 3 seconds then in rapid succession within 2 seconds press the power button three times.  This will cause the unit to go straight up.  Then rotate the head so the unit will sit in the cradle and press stow on the remote. It will work.  I later re deployed it and adjusted the trim level and checked it a few more times.
One thing I highly suggest is that if you have an ulterra, you better have a quick release plate.  The manual wants you to manually stow.  Don’t do that. Too many screws and parts that will find there way in to the water when you remove the side plate.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Minn kota ulterra problems and solutions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2023, 09:40 AM »
Plus if you manually stow, you are supposed to bring the unit in for service to reset the lift screw limit tolerances. I have a late 2019 build which is the latest model and I have had to replace both the steering box and the lift assembly at my cost. Mines a 36v, 60" Riptide with iLink. $3200 motor that has needed $550 worth of parts in the first 2 seasons of ownership. Forget Johnson Outdoors customer support, they are worse than useless. Honestly I hope you have better luck than me, but I will in no way buy one of these again.

mcully

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2023, 10:35 AM »
hope they figured it all out in the new design brushless model coming out.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2023, 10:53 AM »
Plus if you manually stow, you are supposed to bring the unit in for service to reset the lift screw limit tolerances. I have a late 2019 build which is the latest model and I have had to replace both the steering box and the lift assembly at my cost. Mines a 36v, 60" Riptide with iLink. $3200 motor that has needed $550 worth of parts in the first 2 seasons of ownership. Forget Johnson Outdoors customer support, they are worse than useless. Honestly I hope you have better luck than me, but I will in no way buy one of these again.

Wow Geoff.
I didn't know you had all these problems with yours.
I loved mine on the Trophy, but I only had it for 2 seasons.
So, maybe it didn't have enough hours on it to start showing problems.
Is it possible that mine was a newer version than yours??
Mine wasn't a Riptide version, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the stow/deploy mechanisms I wouldn't think. 
In any event, the Ulterra is so awesome, when working.
I really hope they get it right.
Having that thing unable to stow while 20 miles out on a lake or the ocean would suck big time.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2023, 11:34 AM »
I was thinking of putting the 87" shaft on my large boat so I wouldnt need to go to the bow to deploy.  If the freshwater units have this much trouble imagine in the salt!  Looks like the Terrova is the one to get.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2023, 12:07 PM »
I was thinking of putting the 87" shaft on my large boat so I wouldnt need to go to the bow to deploy.  If the freshwater units have this much trouble imagine in the salt!  Looks like the Terrova is the one to get.

Geoff's is a Riptide - saltwater.
Mine was fresh.

I did it specifically, so I didn't have to go up front.
I had a walk around cuddy and could get up there, but when it's rocking and rolling................
Same as you, I didn't want to.
And it worked awesome!!!!
I did a TON of looking online and most people that had problems were from older units.
There is some maintenance (cleaning, lubrication, and belt adjustment) required.
But I get it.
Especially if you are needing that long 87" shaft.
However, pulling that beast up in a Terrova version.................whooooosh!

Good luck.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2023, 03:22 PM »
Ya I will need to increase my workout routine for sure.  If I recall the only difference in riptide vs regular is sacraficial anodes and color.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2023, 03:40 PM »
Ya I will need to increase my workout routine for sure.  If I recall the only difference in riptide vs regular is sacraficial anodes and color.

also -

Fully sealed electrical components
Stainless steel components
Corrosion-resistant surface coating

Pequod1

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2023, 04:13 PM »
I never had a problem in 6 yrs worth of hard use on the terrova.  Just getting a little too lazy in my old age to physically walk up front and lift it.  But, if the ulterra messes up again, I’ll go back to the terrova.  .

mcully

« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2023, 05:58 AM »
The new brushless quest series says it has a redesigned lift mechanism so time will tell. The freshwater are out now and salt supposed to be available sometime this fall. The brushless claims to add many hours to your battery use too. Again yet to be determined but makes sense.

Jethro

« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2023, 08:08 AM »
Is it possible that mine was a newer version than yours??

Nope, I specifically waited to get the latest build which was late 2019.

If I recall the only difference in riptide vs regular is sacraficial anodes and color.

Oh no, there is another HUGE difference with the Riptide- warranty coverage. I am obviously being sarcastic because Johnson Outdoors warranty service is atrocious by my experience, and I have many thousands invested with them. But if you bring a fresh water unit in that shows evidence of use in the salt you won't get covered. Not like you would anyway.

It sure is awesome when it works, but I won't buy another one and I certainly wish I went with a Terrova.

Jethro

« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2023, 08:12 AM »

also -

Fully sealed electrical components
Stainless steel components
Corrosion-resistant surface coating

Yup, fully sealed unit, nicely done Minn Kota- this was after the first season of occasional use in the salt:

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2023, 11:05 AM »
Yea, I remember that.
Others had the same problem too.
Did you ever solve the leak Geoff?
Tons of silicone?

Jethro

« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2023, 01:15 PM »
Yea, I remember that.
Others had the same problem too.
Did you ever solve the leak Geoff?
Tons of silicone?

I had to buy a whole new steering unit because I couldn't get the lift motor itself separately. So I'm basically waiting for it to fail again and cost me another $350.

Edit: just looked it up, it's up to $382 now. Goody gumdrops!

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2023, 01:17 PM »
I love gumdrops.

Jelly beans too.

8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.