FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bullheads  (Read 6639 times)

joefish1

Re: bullheads
« Reply #90 on: Apr 11, 2024, 06:45 AM »
Frozen shrimp fly,  That would something to see.

62 & Done

« Reply #91 on: Apr 11, 2024, 09:24 AM »
That leads me to wonder,  what kind of a mess will I have after trying to fly fish in the dark  WHAT !!!???  OMG  LOL

Thanks for the title Trapp   I really do enjoy catching those buggers  Now I'm trying to come up with a source of crayfish since they always have them in their bellies. Just might be one more thing to do... go catch crayfish   I do like to experiment with different baits.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #92 on: Apr 11, 2024, 10:26 AM »
Got-em    All my stars aligned last night with Free time, no chores no obligations, no eclipse, etc etc . it was a great night with star light sky, no wind, no bugs, or boat traffic.
  Got 32 of these beauties with most of them caught on shrimp.  Crawlers got a few as well as freshwater clams, but the shrimp was killer.

I’m not a bully fisherman so how
long does it take you to clean all of those??
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #93 on: Apr 11, 2024, 01:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjEUSkdks4

i do them a little differenp i cut under the back fin  slice skin to tall snap shuck ......you can do bullheads pretty fast this way i like cleaning them while fishing  have a gut bucket and a  cooler with ice  ....no mess at home .....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

mcully

« Reply #94 on: Apr 11, 2024, 01:38 PM »
I started just running the electric on them and fillet like any other fish.

UofLcards

« Reply #95 on: Apr 11, 2024, 02:15 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjEUSkdks4

i do them a little differenp i cut under the back fin  slice skin to tall snap shuck ......you can do bullheads pretty fast this way i like cleaning them while fishing  have a gut bucket and a  cooler with ice  ....no mess at home .....

Thats looks pretty good - I do something similar - just slice the skin all the way around the fish by the head and pull it off with a pair of pliers - then just snap the head off and the rest comes with it ....are bully's bigger than the one in the demo harder to cut that middle fin off ??

UofLcards

« Reply #96 on: Apr 11, 2024, 02:16 PM »
I started just running the electric on them and fillet like any other fish.

I've done that too - they do fillet pretty well .....

62 & Done

« Reply #97 on: Apr 11, 2024, 04:15 PM »
I do them like Uoflcards   Takes about 2 min / fish   The bigger ones I'll fillet after pulling the hide off so that's about 3 min.  Under 10" they go whole in the pan.  My brother and I brought home 66 one nite. That was a bunch of cleaning.

UofLcards

« Reply #98 on: Apr 11, 2024, 05:51 PM »
I do them like Uoflcards   Takes about 2 min / fish   The bigger ones I'll fillet after pulling the hide off so that's about 3 min.  Under 10" they go whole in the pan.  My brother and I brought home 66 one nite. That was a bunch of cleaning.

Yikes - no kidding ....my hands are hurting from from the slices and pokes from the horns and their slime just thinking about it .....I'm usually pretty careful but still get stuck or sliced once or twice - with that many I would be rushing too much and REALLY gotten it........

62 & Done

« Reply #99 on: Apr 11, 2024, 07:23 PM »
Naah   your being too careless   If they're bouncing around, a whack on the head with the back of your knife calms them down. Haven't seen a decent sized one yet that I can't tame.  It's the little buggers 6-8" that will stick you quick. I don't even like taking the little ones off a hook.

Mac Attack

« Reply #100 on: Apr 11, 2024, 10:40 PM »
Naah   your being too careless   If they're bouncing around, a whack on the head with the back of your knife calms them down. Haven't seen a decent sized one yet that I can't tame.  It's the little buggers 6-8" that will stick you quick. I don't even like taking the little ones off a hook.

UofLcards

« Reply #101 on: Apr 12, 2024, 08:04 AM »

Yep - I'm almost ALWAYS too careless when it comes to them.....I usually use a good sized handle from a screw driver for the wacking but I still get stuck - hahaha

UofLcards

« Reply #102 on: Apr 12, 2024, 08:05 AM »

Looks like the long arm of the law there

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #103 on: Apr 12, 2024, 10:01 AM »
Plan on wetting a few lines this evening to see if I can put a few of these tasty whiskered boogers in my bucket.

Might try some shrimp on one rod tonight. If nothing else, I’ll pair shrimp cocktail with a few Busch Lights

gotagetm

« Reply #104 on: Apr 12, 2024, 11:54 AM »
I may go out for some ...got friends that don't fish but like them muddy things I don't eat them but give them to them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.