FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623758 times)

big_guy_13021

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3240 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:24 PM »
I hear ya on the itch matt..nothing like the fly

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3241 on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Nice ties Matt. I like to use hot pink and chartreuse posts on some for those really bright days . Fish don't seem to care what's on top.

Try them with a little foam post too.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MattyP123

« Reply #3242 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:00 AM »
I'm gonna have to tie some with bright foam posts, good idea. Still have to tie up some slutty stuff for the spring run bows that will probably be long gone by the opener.

boondox

« Reply #3243 on: Feb 27, 2018, 02:36 PM »
I have had good luck with this stuff for chutes Mattyp. Fl. Pink ,fl orange, fl green ,fl yellow..

https://www.caddisflyshop.com/para-post-wing.html

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3244 on: Mar 01, 2018, 10:25 AM »
I've been lurking this thread for a long time and curse Photobucket for their ill will.  Inspired by this thread, the Old Farts With Flyrods, and Panfish Maniacs, I took up my old fly rod last year and had a blast.  I thought this year I'd try my hand at tying more fur and feathers on some hooks instead of plastics if for no other reason than to kill time till the ice melts.  Figured I owed you guys some pics.  Critiques and new ideas accepted.

Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3245 on: Mar 01, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Hello sizematters..them are some nice ties.i gotta get to tying myself..thanks for sharing some patterns

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3246 on: Mar 01, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Well, you've got the idea.......and the bug. Your ties look really good. I'm kind of torn between the wood shop and the fly bench. So far this winter, the wood shop is winning. But, I have enough flies tied to equip a good sized army of fly fishers. So, I'm not too worried.

Of the hundred or so patterns I have tied, I probably use 10. But, the rest are really fun to tie. :laugh:

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3247 on: Mar 01, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Its time.   I been looking at some Kelly Galloup videos.  So, its time to hit the bench.  Geo.

MattyP123

« Reply #3248 on: Mar 11, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Anyone have some patterns they like for finger lakes tribs outside of the obvious eggs and buggers?

Bartman44

« Reply #3249 on: Mar 11, 2018, 12:28 PM »
I had a tough 2017 with some heath issues to the point  where I was semi- crippled, and had little use of my right hand all winter but I'm on the mend so I've been tying up a storm to keep my sanity.

I'm actually tying up some squirmy worms right now and I'm sure they would work in the Finger Lakes or anywhere else for that matter.

I have to figure out this picture posting thing all over again, signed up for Imgur but haven't figured it out yet. I'll post some pics when I do

Bart   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3250 on: Mar 11, 2018, 02:10 PM »
Sorry to hear you have been down Bart. Glad you're on the mend though. Use the "Add image to post" tab at the bottom of the reply. Super simple. Pulls right from your library.

I have one more chess set to build for my Son and then it's gonna be "break time" from the little wood shop. I need to tie some flies.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #3251 on: Mar 11, 2018, 07:19 PM »

Thanks RG,

Testing the image add: 

Bartman44

« Reply #3252 on: Mar 11, 2018, 07:21 PM »
and it worked, that was easy. Thanks.

. . . and I'm not tying flies with cardinal feathers. This guy comes to my feeder everyday. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3253 on: Mar 11, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Thank Scott. He made it easy for us.

We have a pair of cardinals that come in to feed every day. Usually the first and last ones to visit. Bluebirds have been at the nest box now for a few weeks.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3254 on: Mar 12, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Anyone need any grouse feathers?
This dummy just flew into my truck.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.