FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sebago Lake Summer Togue Tourney needs your input  (Read 12497 times)

tbtool

• Its hard being this addicted to fishing
Sebago Lake Summer Togue Tourney needs your input
« on: Apr 20, 2010, 12:32 PM »
As many of you have probably heard, I, along with a few others, have
been entertaining the idea of creating an annual “Sebago Lake Summer
Togue Tournament” with three goals:

1. Supporting The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital at Maine Medical
Center.
2. Addressing concerns of a healthy but not overpopulated lake trout
population in Sebago Lake.
3. Creating a fun event with significant prizes that will draw in a
crowd that is needed for us to make this a worthwhile and long lasting
event.

With this event in mind, I have approached several companies asking
them to become a lead sponsor, which would include either a product
donation or sponsorship dollars that would provide the boat, motor and
trailer that is vital to the success of the event. There has been
interest, but many “hoops” to jump through in order to make this
type of commitment. I have the support of the state, BBCH, several
sportsmen’s association, etc. already, and I plan to market this event
throughout Northern New England.

We would charge 60 per person for the 2 day tournament. As
expected, we’ll have a nice prize structure, raffles, etc. In
addition, I have some other ideas about growing this event, but I don't
want to go there until a few years of success doing this first.

Until I get the lead sponsorship commitment, my gut is telling me to
hold off hosting the event.  I think the lead prize is critical to draw
a crowd. My tentative plan is to hold the event in August of 2011, but
the work starts now. I am posting this now because I want to get your
thoughts on the event, any ideas on potential support out there and your
feedback in general. No hidden agenda, just a conversation with your
thoughts and ideas.

Like I said, I would really like to do this but I am only going to if I
feel that the resources are there to make it a worthwhile event and a
successful fundraiser for the children being cared for at The Barbara
Bush Children’s Hospital. Any of us that have run even the smallest
derby know the effort required to make it the best it can be.

Thank you for your feedback, thoughts and support as we consider
starting a summer togue tournament to remember!
Tight lines

Todd

tcfish

Re: Sebago Lake Summer Togue Tourney needs your input
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2010, 01:30 PM »

Great idea with good intentions Todd however i feel that an entry fee of 60.00 per person is a little out there!!

ifishhi

• fall togue on a 6wt.....what a fight!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2010, 01:36 PM »
      Great idea with good intentions Todd however i feel that an entry fee of 60.00 per person is a little out there!!
maybe 60 per team/boat  :-\ 

it does sound good though 8)

SwedishPimple

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2010, 01:40 PM »
maybe 60 per team/boat  :-\ 

it does sound good though 8)
60.00 bucks is cheap!  Seriously fellas, it is a donation to BBCH....  Furthermore, if any of you know Todd you know he will run a top notch event.

LOL Dave

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2010, 01:40 PM »
I think if you made the registration fee similar to what we pay if we fish the spring derby on Winni in N.H. ($40 a person which is for 3 days and not only 2) I would more then be willing to fish the tournament and pay the fee. Even though if It stayed at $60 I would probably still fish it as the money raised is going to a good cause and that's helping children. I'm all for helping children in any way shape or form So either way I'd be in. Plus I can catch togue better then salmon LOL Take Care God Bless LOL Dave (Who fishes in Maine more then N.H. LOL)

Kennebago Kid

• North American Rural Dweller
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Out of curiosity, how much is the entry fee to the largest bass fishing tourney in Maine? Dead serious here.

MEhunter

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2010, 02:05 PM »
I too like the idea, but the price seems steep, but I'd probably still do it.  I'm just comparing it to the Champlain Derby which has some huge cash and merchandise prizes.
http://www.mychamplain.net/fishing-derbies/29th-annual-fathers-day-fishing-derby/highlights

SwedishPimple

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Out of curiosity, how much is the entry fee to the largest bass fishing tourney in Maine? Dead serious here.

A heck of a lot more then 120.00 per boat and I know that money does not go to charity.  I will say that many clubs that put on open bass events do give a percentage of proceeds back to a charity.

Fish Monger

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Don't fear the $60 please.... it may seem steep at first and the first year's prize pool may or may not warrant the entry fee, but you have to start somewhere. I'd love to see an established togue derby on sebago during the summer. After one.... maybe two..... successful derbies I am sure it would get attention and draw huge numbers.

GO FOR IT TODD!!!!!!!!

fishless12

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2010, 03:11 PM »
I really like this idea. I've been hoping someone would spearhead it. 60 bucks is reasonable. Why August? Maybe it should be at a time of year when the togue fishing is best... Early June? I like the idea of making this a multi-day event to hedge against weather, and poor biting days. I'm very interested and supportive, will definitely be following this!

fuldraw

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2010, 04:58 PM »
I would love to fish the tourney. They actually had some a few years back and they were pretty good with decent numbers but could of had many more people with proper advertisement. The only thing that gets me with this one is the 60 bucks to get in yes I know it goes to a good cause but there are still a lot of people that can't afford that type of entry fee no matter where its going. Just think of people that have to drive over an hour to get there. Take my dad for example it takes him an hour to get to the launch and then an hour home that's roughly 70 bucks in just gas right there just to get to and from the lake then add in boat gas and bait. That's one expensive weekend. That much money would and will deff keep alot of people away. You say you will need a high entry fee to help pay for it all but if you lower the price you will have more entrys which would get the money that you need and would also get more people fishing and having fun, more touge caught and more people telling their friends that they need to do it the following year. Sorry for rambling but just my .02

troutman70

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2010, 05:25 PM »
hopefully run a little better than the winter derby.  and id do it in a heartbeat. i fish all summer anyway just one weekend there be a reason to keep a togue.

tbtool

• Its hard being this addicted to fishing
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2010, 05:44 PM »
The price is not set in stone, its just a figure.  Obviously the more people that are interested the less its going to cost for an entry fee.  I would love to be able to raise 100,000 a year in atleast 5 years time.  It would be one of the largest fundraisers in the state.   With that said it needs to be a top notch tourney to get the support of the local fisherman.  We will be advertising throughout new England.  Not just Maine.  BBCH has a huge range of advertising that I plan on using to the fullest.   Again dont judge this tourney by the entry fee, its just a number
Tight lines

Todd

salmon44

« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2010, 05:59 PM »
I know myself and more than a few friends would be all for it, whatever the entry fee is.  The most important step is to get the ball rolling (tbtool, I tip my hat to you for your efforts) and get the open water derby started.  I wish somehow we could convince the powers to be that these derbies could have special regulations where more Togue could be kept.  If they truly wish to help the Salmon & Smelt populations in Sebago, we need to eradicate more Togue.  I would hate to guess how many Togue I have thrown back into Sebago that were over 23" due to already having my one legal.  Maybe the derby could go by total weight, both open water & ice derby, just a thought............  Sorry for the ramble, I hope this derby comes to fruition.

LOL Dave

« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Maybe a special prize pool to also get rid of that nasty invasive pike species that was illegally introduced into the lake by some meathead bucket biologist who i'd like to catch on the end of my downrigger ball Ughhhhh Just a suggestion? Take Care God Bless LOL Dave (Who is not a Pike hater but is a pike hater in waters where they shouldn't be)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.