FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418878 times)

bunker killer

Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #2505 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Hey Mayor, you should send Snagger the step by step pictures

The Mayor

« Reply #2506 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:43 AM »
I remember going in allot deeper than that, But it did make me buy a belt.
Bunker,      We use to be able to walk a fish down, but each year it gets cut out deeper & deeper. I can remember you asking me can I get through. Then you got in deeper & deeper until the water started trickling over the top of your waders. You were already beyond the point of return & wetter than you wanted to be, letting everyone in the area know how cold the water really was, but you continued on and landed a beautiful STEELHEAD. I know Moose & I will never forget that day on the river with you. For that you are an honorary member of the Snorkel Man Award & that hole from this day forth will be called the SNORKEL HOLE in your honor.   :bowdown: :bowdown: :clapping: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: : :flag: :flag:    THE  MAYOR

The Mayor

« Reply #2507 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:46 AM »
Hey Mayor, you should send Snagger the step by step pictures
Bunker,      I will later, I'm going fishing.  THE  MAYOR

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2508 on: Nov 11, 2009, 10:16 AM »
   Hey CNY how much experience do your buds have at fishing steelies this time of year?  Heres some quick advice, if there running spinning outfits. 6lb good quality clear line has been the norm( alot of guys run exspensive fluorocarbon, but most quality clear lines have similar light refraction and better abrasion qualities like maxima ultra green or Trilene sensation)with alot of my vetran anglers already dropping to 4 lb., but need a long light noodle rod to absorb the shock of hard fighting steelies with lines that light!  Some are using floats, some are bottom bouncing, the fish are very spooky right now, even down river, Driftboat traffic has been Horrendous this year, seems like everybody owns one now!  With the best stretch of November weather we have seen in years, the River will stay Semi-crowded for a while yet!  The beads haven't been on fire like the last 2 years, lower water and crowds has brought it back to egg sacs and flies again. Waters got to get a little colder yet for the pink power worm bite, but aways worth trying! I'll give you a call later bud!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2509 on: Nov 11, 2009, 10:44 AM »
i personally  run mono! it adds  a little shock restance   i run 8 lb main line  to a 6  or 4 lb tippet i personally  like  max. leader materal  but  theres many good ones on the  market , with the low  water  on salmon  river i'd  start  right out with 4 pound myself ,remeber  with the shorter  leader laws   the leader  will break easy! so  you want a  good noodle rod and take your  time , i'm thinking  nymph time :)
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SNAGGER

« Reply #2510 on: Nov 11, 2009, 10:45 AM »
 I'm looking out my window right now, can't fit one more car in either parking lot up at the Altmar bridge. Low water and good weather = people!!!!!!!!!!!  Give em helll boys!!!! ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #2511 on: Nov 11, 2009, 10:47 AM »
i personally  run mono! it adds  a little shock restance   i run 8 lb main line  to a 6  or 4 lb tippet i personally  like  max. leader materal  but  theres many good ones on the  market , with the low  water  on salmon  river i'd  start  right out with 4 pound myself ,remeber  with the shorter  leader laws   the leader  will break easy! so  you want a  good noodle rod and take your  time , i'm thinking  nymph time :)
  In the last 3 days or so almost everybody has switched to flies trap, also coho(not brown trout) egg sac's!  The steelies are tired of seeing beads and brownie bags I guess!  ;)
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #2512 on: Nov 11, 2009, 10:53 AM »
   Hey trap, it's funny, alot of people think that the Power of the Internet is the reason behind why the Salmon River is crowded right now, has nothing to do with EVERY other Trib in New York state is dried up and this is the best stretch of weather we have had in many many years!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   What do you think Trap!

Happy veteran's day to all the men & women who have & are serving & protecting this great country!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #2513 on: Nov 11, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Hey Snagger, I haven't caught a Steelie on a Brown Sac,since I got them!! Are they that picky??
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

SNAGGER

« Reply #2514 on: Nov 11, 2009, 11:25 AM »
Hey Snagger, I haven't caught a Steelie on a Brown Sac,since I got them!! Are they that picky??
  They can be sometimes, Look how picky they are with bead colors sometimes, your brown trout stomach pictures showed brownie eggs though from Oswego! I believe color of netting and sac size is more important though. In Oswego you guys use bombs, where I tie only 3 salmon eggs per sac and pop one, that's small!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #2515 on: Nov 11, 2009, 11:35 AM »
i personally  run mono! it adds  a little shock restance   i run 8 lb main line  to a 6  or 4 lb tippet i personally  like  max. leader materal  but  theres many good ones on the  market , with the low  water  on salmon  river i'd  start  right out with 4 pound myself ,remeber  with the shorter  leader laws   the leader  will break easy! so  you want a  good noodle rod and take your  time , i'm thinking  nymph time :)
   Hey I think I saw "Smoky and the Bandit" the other day!!!!!  :clapping:
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

bunker killer

« Reply #2516 on: Nov 11, 2009, 12:17 PM »
Hey Snagger, I here theres some Connecticut boys packing up to head your way

dmntd169

« Reply #2517 on: Nov 11, 2009, 12:29 PM »
  Hey trap, it's funny, alot of people think that the power of the internet is the reason behind why the Salmon River is crowded right now, has nothing to do with EVERY other Trib in New York state is dried up and this is the best stretch of weather we have had in I don;t know how long!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   What do you think Trap!

I felt like saying something along those lines over on SC but didn't feel like being a know it all in the eyes of the idiot who originally started that rant  ::) ::)   I know I'm not driving up until you guys get some rain. Way too many small tribs that can produce numbers without being shoulder to shoulder. They just need some water in em  :-\ :-\
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

The Mayor

« Reply #2518 on: Nov 11, 2009, 03:16 PM »
Hey Snagger, I here theres some Connecticut boys backing up to head your way
Hey Bunker,      Be careful backing up to Altmar. Fished the S.H. today & hit some nice chrome , one coho & right before I left a big male Steelhead approx 18or 19 lb on a copper & black stone fly. While fighting the steelhead I looked up & there was Snagger across from me snapping pictures. Can't wait to fish with you guys. Your friend.     THE  MAYOR 

SNORKEL  HOLE  SNORKEL  HOLE  SNORKEL  HOLE  SNORKEL  HOLE

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2519 on: Nov 11, 2009, 03:19 PM »
to be honest snag  if the power  of the internet was the reason people  would pack oswego river  right now! my opinion  it's better fishing and  plenty of water with fish that are a lot less spooky .... my opinion  i'd be tossing more  nymphs  and float fisherman could do well  with minnows  in this weather.... beads work on fish that can't  close  there mouths lol ....opinion  and  fresh browns  and rainbows fall for them .....but my  question is this if i'm going to run a bead and get  hung up more  why not  just run a  glo bug????? reason ....easier to left a fish with a bead!  again this is my opinion
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.