FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418881 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #2790 on: Nov 25, 2009, 09:52 PM »
I'm still smiling over the "Massacre in Brown Town" two weeks ago...

I've fished all over North America in just the past decade alone- but I swear I never saw trout action and sheer girth anywhere in the Blue Ridge, Rockies, Sierra Nevadas or Alaska Range that could compare to NY's finest!

Seriously- people friggin' fly to Patagonia Chile for shots at browns like those.  Jeepers.

No dice this weekend...  Two nights of Phish concerts here in Albany.  Party time.

But I have no doubt I'll see you in the next few weeks.  I know a little cabin near the UFZ with my name on it!

Hoping we can whack some metalheads together with the noodles some afternoon in December.
  Yep people over look them up here! A bunch of us business owners back in the Spring of 04 got the DEC to give us some extra Brown Trout fingerlings, like 20,000 or something, we all got together one morning and walked in hundreds of bucket fulls of fingerling brownies up into Orwell and the Upper Salmon River.     THINK THEY TOOK?
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2791 on: Nov 25, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Good LAWD, yes!!!    :D  Please put some more in when you get a chance!!!

"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

SNAGGER

« Reply #2792 on: Nov 25, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Good LAWD, yes!!!    :D  Please put some more in when you get a chance!!!

Good LAWD is that from "Goodtimes"?  :w00t:      That is an AWESOME picture!      As you know I grew up on Cayuga Lake and the Browns, once stocked in the Cayuga Inlet, took the stream over, almost wiped out the Rainbow Run in the early 90's. Then they found a balance, but to this day it's never been the same. BROWNS everywhere, once they get a naturally reproduced foothold, you won't get rid of them, if anything they might knock the steelie numbers down in the future!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2793 on: Nov 25, 2009, 10:43 PM »
I know a lot of guys aren't too fond of the Browns (ah hmm!), but still...  Awesome!!!

I guess I love those Lake "O"-run butterbellies so much simply because nearly all the trout guys I know can "relate" to a brown.  Steelies are just something those of us in the Great Lakes (and Pacific Northwest, of course) get to enjoy.

I've got buddies in friggin' GEORGIA who nail some d**n respectable rainbows on the 'Hooch in north Georgia and Cherokeee, NC and while they do love to see my Steelhead photos, it is those ABSURD browns that flip them out.  And I fished Colorado in my old haunts for a solid week this summer and was pleased with 21" browns in Gore Canyon!

But those Empire State Browns?   Blow them all away easily.  Every fish was a "fish of a lifetime".

And for those who say the big ones don't jump and run?  Well, I wish you were in my wading boots two weeks ago.  Some fish went to the air, some hunkered down, and one took off so fast I was POSITIVE it was chrome until I got a glove on him!

Also, for the record:  Those DEC signs distinguishing ID between Atlantic Salmon and Seaforellen Browns are way out of whack.  "Brown trout are not successfully grabbed by the tail"?

Jeesh, when they have full-blown CANKLES like the ones we wailed on awhile back, its like grabbing a handle!!!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

SNAGGER

« Reply #2794 on: Nov 25, 2009, 10:48 PM »
 Speaking of Atlantics, I thought we would see more in the River, after looking at quite a few pics this summer on the lake forums! Guess not, who cares, like you said lots of Browns!!!

Heres a recent lake temp map I look at from my weather obsession!
           If this was late August and I saw that much upwelling at the eastern end,
                                     I'd being driving to the Port to check for Salmon.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #2795 on: Nov 26, 2009, 11:41 AM »

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERBODY!!

All of us on here have alot to be thankful for. I'm thankful for all of the men and women overseas protecting our way of life. I hope they have a safe thanksgiving and safe return soon. Thanksgiving is not about Black Friday & time off from work, it's about talking and being with friends and family! Sharing old memories and making new ones! Hope everyone has a good one!!  Shane M.

Also, I joined IceShanty last year around thanksgiving
                            and I'm thankful for meeting many good guys on here and IS!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

oneidawalleye

« Reply #2796 on: Nov 26, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Happy Turkey day Shane. See you Friday afternoon.

fishingaddict

• Fishing is not an addiction, Its the CURE!
« Reply #2797 on: Nov 26, 2009, 06:17 PM »
Happy thanksgiving all!   
Fish fear me!

go-phillies

• THE HECK WITH WORKIN!! TIME FOR FISHIN!!!!!
« Reply #2798 on: Nov 26, 2009, 06:26 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh:hey shane and every one else on this awsome sight   HAPPY THANKSGIVING   might be coming back up in dec with some of the boys   see you then shane    RICK
9/11/2001 FOREVER     -if fishing was a job,  nobody would retire,  a bad day fishing still beats a good day workin, so I finally gave up workin ,, another year, another excuse to get up to A.O.L.   FISH ON!! salmon River N.Y.!!!

ripple

« Reply #2799 on: Nov 26, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Snagger: While I am new to the forum thanks to Jimmy I must say you seem like the real deal and tell it straight up, something I really respect. Thanks for all you have done in my short visit here and I'm quite sure we will meet up .

As for Brown Town:
I have a little time on the river under my belt and 2 friends wanted to add a Ontario Big Brown that they read about to their fishing resume. Well when Jimmy & company rolled into town around midnight and glassy eyed I showed them some photo's from my previous day and their jaws dropped. It was great to see.
I love that above shot and thanks to Jimmy I learned how to take good pic's.
So many GREAT pic's of GREAT fish were taken but I love this shot...

Hope to see ya once the freezer is full of all organic meat ...

SNAGGER

« Reply #2800 on: Nov 26, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Snagger: While I am new to the forum thanks to Jimmy I must say you seem like the real deal and tell it straight up, something I really respect. Thanks for all you have done in my short visit here and I'm quite sure we will meet up .

As for Brown Town:
I have a little time on the river under my belt and 2 friends wanted to add a Ontario Big Brown that they read about to their fishing resume. Well when Jimmy & company rolled into town around midnight and glassy eyed I showed them some photo's from my previous day and their jaws dropped. It was great to see.
I love that above shot and thanks to Jimmy I learned how to take good pic's.
So many GREAT pic's of GREAT fish were taken but I love this shot...

Hope to see ya once the freezer is full of all organic meat ...

Welcome to MFF, glad you enjoyed  our BS Thread! We have alot of fun up here, glad to help out if I can! I look at The BS Thread as a bar room, just stop in after work and see how everybody did! I read every page of  Oneida Diehard thread, even though I didn't fish there for over 2 months during Salmon Season, Had fun just hearing about it!  We'll all run into each other sooner or later!  Have a good one man!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #2801 on: Nov 26, 2009, 09:44 PM »
  Fishing Report:  I fished up below the bridge today for about an hour and a half, got my butt handed to me by my buddy LV. I only hooked 3 while he hooked about 7, there was alot of guys around today with the beautiful partly sunny 56 degree weather! I probably shouldn't say this, but all the fish we hooked plus another 6 or so from other Anglers were Dime Bright Fresh steelies. They were going ballistic, What a difference from the hooked and released half dead darkies from a couple days ago. These fish just arrived, surprised they didn't have sea lice on them!!  ;D            White like pillow cases with black steel tops!! Had a fish ready for the camera, it flipped back in the water and did another 50 yard run and the hook came out! I hope theres more fresh ones coming and these ones don't move up into the Fly Zone tonight! Because they were fun, even if just for a little while! I tryed a new line today that didn't work out, my numbers will be better tomorrow if I go, so look out LV, I got your number!

Speaking of tomorrow, FINALLY ROTTEN WEATHER HAS ARIVED  FAIR WEATHER FISHERMEN, tomorrow upper 30's with 15-30mph Northwest winds with rain/snow. Heres the beginnings of what could be a good drink for the Very Low big Res.!!!   I watched these clouds and rain Form in place as I was fishing, it was pretty cool!

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

bowhunt302

« Reply #2802 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:10 AM »
Snagger,

Are those "dark half dead" steelies ready to spawn?

Thanks
Julius

bigbrookie

« Reply #2803 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:23 AM »
fished a couple of the usual spots on the upper end yesterday. slow day, couldn't figure out what they wanted. ended up 2 for 5, 1 juvy steelie and a nice red coho about 10lbs. we tried everything we could think off yesterday, but blue sacks and orange estaz (only had one and wish i had more) seemed to be the best bet. even though we didn't have a great day yesterday, it was still a beautiful day to be on the water. hopefully the water will come up a bit and bring some more freshies in tomorrow and sunday. gl all.

SNAGGER

« Reply #2804 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Snagger,

Are those "dark half dead" steelies ready to spawn?

Thanks
Julius
  Not yet, usually the first spawners are around Christmas, Alot of spawning in Late January-February for the fall run fish! If you get lucky and get a domestic Rainbow, they are loose right now!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.