FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rainbows  (Read 1027 times)

staubsaugen

Rainbows
« on: Aug 02, 2022, 05:16 PM »
Fished an inland lake with new tactic today looking for rainbows. Ran spoons and jointed rapalas on lead cor-3, 4, and 5 colors. 4 color was most productive followed by 3. We ended up 10 for 20. One small brown we released, the rest 13-14" rainbows. Fished from 11-3 with low expectations and pleasantly surprised with the results.

Daybreak

Re: Rainbows
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2022, 06:53 AM »
I like it when new things work.  Good job!
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2022, 08:50 AM »
Lead core can be deadly on trout. I've used down riggers with not much luck but really nailed them with lead core. Couldn't buy a strike from landlocked salmon on a remote lake in Maine using my portable downrigger. Leadcore worked though.  Congrats!

Sorry to hear no holdovers though. Years ago we used get at least one 18 to 19 incher among this year's stockers within a day's fishing.

There is a possibility the holdovers become more bottom oriented. The largest browns tend to be bottom oriented from my experience.

Or the survival rate for holdover is low in August to September due to depleted oxygen. Browns can handle that better than the bows.

I can't imagine they are being fished out although I did run into a lake resident that was bragging about going back out over and over to keep stockers well over his limit. This was on Facebook and when I chewed him out for it he changed his story. Still reported him.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2022, 01:17 PM »
Nice fish - AM or PM?

fish on
rivereddy

staubsaugen

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2022, 03:07 PM »
Midday

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor