FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing new ponds/lakes?  (Read 958 times)

Steel Nuttz

Fishing new ponds/lakes?
« on: May 07, 2013, 12:08 PM »
I love to fish, and being terrible at it is really frustrating for me...

This is a multipurpose question, because I split my time between trolling for salmon/trout, and fishing for bass (S&L) and crappie.

If hitting a new body of water, what things do you look for if trying to find bass/crappie?  How long do you fish one spot?  If fishing the shorelines, how close do you get? 

If trolling for salmon/trout, do you stay shallow at first or head to the middle?  I mostly use mooselook's or similar lures...

Thanks for any replies.
Thanks...Hey, I guess they're right - senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose.  I'll be right back.  Don't you go dying on me!

gamefisher

Re: Fishing new ponds/lakes?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44 PM »
I love to fish, and being terrible at it is really frustrating for me...

This is a multipurpose question, because I split my time between trolling for salmon/trout, and fishing for bass (S&L) and crappie.

If hitting a new body of water, what things do you look for if trying to find bass/crappie?  How long do you fish one spot?  If fishing the shorelines, how close do you get? 

If trolling for salmon/trout, do you stay shallow at first or head to the middle?  I mostly use mooselook's or similar lures...

Thanks for any replies.

I can't speak to the bass and crappie but if you want to hit the trout and salmon, I dare say this weekend coming is d**n near fool proof regardless of skill level. 8)  Moon will be perfect, water temps are perfect, and fish have spread out.  The jr. mooseluk in half copper and half silver at 3-5 colors have been working best for me lately if that helps.  Good luck.

FishPaws

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Same as Gamefisher on the Bass/Crappie... I guess some guys actually TRY to catch those. But not me.

Right after ice out the gamefish are a little sluggish.  Trolling hardware & flies requires a little speed. Trolling something such as a sewn smelt at a slower speed, say .7 to 1.5 may entice those lethargic creatures when water <48-50 degrees.

As for Shallow/Deep... Early on, smelt stream tributaries, I'm sure you've heard of the Songo.  After that gotta find'em, I try depth changes. A fishfinder with temp & speed certainly help on all fronts.

icefisha22

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:04 PM »
on the bass fishing end of things, i find that if they are there, you are gonna catch it right off (given you have found a lure that is working).  I like to start out in a spot with a big boulder, stump or some other sort of good looking structure and give it a couple casts, switch lures, repeat until you get one. If this fails, move to a new spot and keep trying it until you get into them. The key is to keep trying new things, keep moving.  As for lures, my go to is a wacky rigged green rubber worm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.