FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing the inland sea  (Read 1990 times)

Rainbow1

• Greenland Cove
Fishing the inland sea
« on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:33 AM »
I friend and I went out of Keeler Bay just after Labor Day last season  fishing from the causeway up to about the gut in deeper water figuring the thermocline to be around 40'.  We got nothing on day one.  Day 2 we moved shallower and couldn't keep our lines in the water, it was all white perch.  Catching is better than nothing but I'm looking for advice on methods / technics for salmon and browns.  Not honey holes just something in general.  We usually fish Winnipesaukee and figured the same methods would apply.  On our way out of town a local told us to go through the gut and fish the west side of South Hero.  Looking to return just after Memorial Day and was thinking of fishing shallow near Lamoille, any ideas? Thanks.

Perchbait

Re: Fishing the inland sea
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:27 PM »
People do a lot of trolling for Salmon around the Cowbanks, Cedar Island, Fish Bladder Island and between Georgia Shore and Savage Island. Some people do troll around in Malletts Bay, but I haven't personally fished out there. Down south, in Converse, Whallon, and Town Farm Bays, People salmon fish a lot and catch them year round. Good Luck!
perch bait on IS, if you couldn't figure that out on your own. ;)

Fish Farmer

« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2017, 09:18 AM »
I don't have much experience up there, but it seems by Memorial Day salmon are starting to drop down into deeper water or at least  trolling 15+ feet down over deeper water. My experience is around the Converse Bay areas. Also by Memorial Day the lake starts becoming a zoo with boats, at least on the weekends which can put the fish down deeper.

crayfish2

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2017, 02:06 PM »
On your Labor Day trip, you probably weren't fishing deep enough to find salmon.  They were 70'+ in August, and very spread out.  For Memorial Day, it will depend on the weather, but typically 20-40' down over 50'+ water is where you'll find salmon.  If we are getting pestered by white perch, we will try larger lures and troll faster.  It doesn't always work, but it helps.  There are far fewer white perch when you get out of the Inland Sea, so you can concentrate more on salmon and trout! 

Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.