FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bass in Nahmakanta Lake  (Read 438 times)

gamefisher

Bass in Nahmakanta Lake
« on: Mar 18, 2024, 09:55 AM »
Was just reading in a report authored by Tim Obrey that bass are now confirmed in Nahmakanta Lake.  For those of you that have been there you know its the most beautiful lake in the State of Maine!  For those of you that haven't you really missed out on something special.  This is so sickening with all the bass, perch, crappie intruductions going on and yet it continues. :'(  Some idiot has just ruined another significant body of water.  Does anyone have any further information?  Sorry if I'm late to the party and this is old news to the gamefish community.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: Bass in Nahmakanta Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2024, 03:35 PM »
Sad.  I hadn't heard of this.  Seems to be a recurring theme.  It looks like they allow ice fishing and live bait there, so I wonder if the bass came from a bucket by accident rather than by intent.  I also am starting to believe that invasives are gaining footholds because of changing conditions (water quality, non-winters, etc.) that historically were quite different.

gamefisher

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2024, 03:57 PM »
Sad.  I hadn't heard of this.  Seems to be a recurring theme.  It looks like they allow ice fishing and live bait there, so I wonder if the bass came from a bucket by accident rather than by intent.  I also am starting to believe that invasives are gaining footholds because of changing conditions (water quality, non-winters, etc.) that historically were quite different.

I know of no bass within 30 plus miles of there Jim and if anybody was stupid enough to dump their home caught shiners containing juvenile bass in the lake at the end of their outing castration is to easy of a penalty.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2024, 07:01 PM »
It would be nice if they could catch someone red-handed so a solid punishment (involving nads or not) could be delivered as an example and good deterrent.

gamefisher

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2024, 06:09 AM »
It would be nice if they could catch someone red-handed so a solid punishment (involving nads or not) could be delivered as an example and good deterrent.

x1000 Jim.  I'm not sure the State actually wants to catch people performing this environmental terrorism because they know they have a new fishery that they have to invest zero dollars into to maintain.  There have been examples of people caught dead to right and I'm not sure they received more than a slap on the wrist- the guy that put bass in Moxie, the ex warden who put bass or perch in Moosehead, etc  Why would biologist release pike back into lake from trapnettings if they wanted to make a statement about illegal stockngs???

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2024, 10:38 PM »
I fished Nahmakanta at least 20 years ago and the camp owner said there were already smallmouth bass in the lake then. Perhaps it wasn't confirmed back then? Definitely a gorgeous lake but was disappointed the landlocked salmon were on the small side.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

gamefisher

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2024, 07:58 AM »
I fished Nahmakanta at least 20 years ago and the camp owner said there were already smallmouth bass in the lake then. Perhaps it wasn't confirmed back then? Definitely a gorgeous lake but was disappointed the landlocked salmon were on the small side.

I have trolled it probably 100 days from the 80's until late 2000teens, never saw or heard of bass present until Tim Obrey, region biologist, posted it the other day.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2024, 12:57 AM »
I have trolled it probably 100 days from the 80's until late 2000teens, never saw or heard of bass present until Tim Obrey, region biologist, posted it the other day.

I'm just repeating what the camp owner told us.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.