FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone ever do a Canada fly in trip for Pike/Walleye's here?  (Read 1811 times)

tracker2011

• I'm NH piker on IceShanty
I am planning a trip to Canada for a fly in trip with Caesar's North Camps for Walleye's and Pike.  I have never fished for Walleye's before but I am watching every youtube video I can and it seems that its real easy catching fish on one of these private lakes.  I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience doing one of these trips in the past that can give me some advice.  Going up in either July or August of next year.  Too much going on this summer already but I sure would like to go now..
Fishing is my first passion, just don't tell the wife!

taxid

Just make sure you don't have a DUI in your past and you have a passport. I know a guy that had to cough up some serious money to get in because he had a DUI decades ago.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

tracker2011

no dui...I think I can get a passcard instead of a full passport.  I've yet to check into that but I have plenty of time...

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Just go with the full passport and get it done..  Use to go through canada from NY to Michigan and back and gota passport and never had a problem...
Before that just just had a drivers liscens
And sometimes they gave you a hard time.   
One good thing is our border checks everyone...
Just want to say its harder getting back across to get home...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

boondox

Are you going to Manitoba, Ontario , etc.. check the regs you can bring worms but they can't be in soil you can't use treble hooks you can use single hooks with out barbs..   last I looked I think was the regs for ontario ca...  But we were fishing trout and walleye that might have been why?? it's been a while..

also pike hammer any thing we used eppinger spoons casting spoons like devil dogs 1 ounce and less troll them cast them etc..  we changed out the hooks to single barbless and could not keep them off them red and white etc does good to..  does not take much tackle to hook fish are you renting a boat or guided on a boat ?? That the way to go..   nice thing about those spoons is you can jig them don't forget wire leaders..

we also used the bigger spoons 5 of diamonds black and white etc for lakers we used a cannon ball weight and a three way and moochEd for lakers...  on the bigger deeper lakes .. it all depends on were your going.. we stayed in wawa white river etc and fished a lot unguided.. from my house to wawa is same distance to florida..  my uncle drove from Florida to wawa with my cousins before he passed did not do that twice..  tell you that much...

brush up on rules and ask the guide if guided what tackle to bring along with what type of rods etc.. the pike there are the size of our musky here lol's.. hate to see a musky there lol's that's st clair musky if they grow to that size??

Lot of big fish so don't under gun your self if it were me I would do like a week..  guided the first day or two then go unguided the rest of the week..   but have the option for a boat to use.. you wIll need it also gps you will need canadIan  maps for the  fish finder maps etc..  carefull  drinking water with out boiling it mainly well water you could get sick from it..

shore luch is always awesome so is the dining experience and food .. also Canadian licence is needed..  if you don't got one yet pass ports better then a enhanced drivers licence..  it's worth getting also you may need shots etc to get pass ports..  so keep it in mind go early so you don't have a long wait to get it and get worried later cutting it close..

O

I bring a lot of tackle on my Canadian trips for walleye and pike, certainly more than I use in the whole week. If i was limited I would bring the following:
Soft plastics - grubs, worms, tubes.   Depending on color of water.  If brownish, tea colored water I like very bright like flourescent orange, white, chartruese.  Always bring black, brown (crayfish) and white, probably yellow too.  If clear water, then closer to natural colors.  I almost always use a plain jig head with no color, or black, or red.  Be sure to have a good range of weights.  When it is windy or deep you will be happy having the 1/2 oz jigs with you.
Spoons, already mentioned above.
In-line spinners like Mepps, again depending on water color, but anything with a little flash and color work well on both fish.
Hardbaits like rapalas and hot-n-tots for casting and slow trolling.
Does not hurt to have some worm harnesses for both drifting and or slow trolling.  Live bait preferred, but plastics, especially Gulp, work well too and last a lot longer.
That would be a short list of tackle.  I would also bring a drift sock, it has saved the day many times. 

Also, good advice on getting a passport and getting it soon.  I cross the border several times a year and it is by far the best document to have.  Don’t forget you are limited on how much liquor, beer, tobacco, etc. you can cross into Canada with duty free. 

Ask any questions you can think of, happy to help you out.  I am planning an August trip to Quebec this year too, looking forward to it!

boondox

Ya in line spinners are good cause you can cut treble hook off and add split ring and a single hook barb pinched down..

Same with hot n tots use a single hook on the back don't worry about the front hook .. and ya jig are your best friend 1 ounce all the way to 1/8 and quater ounce..  if you daisy chain 2 or 3 on a line were legal that works great..  we even use lunker city's fin-s minnows black back and silver belly  blue belly black back etc .. any thing with two tone the darker color on top works well..  tube jigs are great ..

also  Rod holders ment to say this earlier if you have access to a boat you will want to troll a tad to cover more ground clamp on rod holder either down east or tite loc's rod holder go buy how many you can have perperson.. if their is another on boat bring a rod holder for other side of boat cause always get people to catch fish is awesome.. also look in to evil eye eppinger spoons like the half ounce 69 series and the 1/3 ounce  in the 68 series.. pick your favorite colors I am sure if you call them they can make stuff apon request.. better yet to bad you can't stop in their show room on the way cause they got a lot of stuff .. nice thing about evil eyes you can troll at 2.5 mph it looks same as 1.5 mph cause there very speed forgiving.. unlike heavier spoons  that are thick and not wide  like michigan stinger brand..   that and a drift sock or two for trolling helps control speed when their dragged also slow drift for jigging  ..

also rods I like medium heavy spinning rods like a 7 foot ulgy stick or 6 foot 6 inch all one piece.. paired with around a 6000 spinning reel that and I buy the dual purpose ulgy sticks with the short to the rod boat rod guides so I can throw a line counter reel on for fishing lakers controlled depth with eppinger evil eyes trolled.. and  or cast cleo's/eppingers casting type spoons etc to spwaning pike.. even a medium light boat rod with full stainless guides with out incerts like on the diawa beef stick type rods medium light beef stick would be perfect for all around fishing.. in their conventional type rods..

also fly rods in 9 and 10 weights for pike and walleye if your fly fishing delburg divers in various colors along with minnow type pattrens etc..  Let us know some more what your planning to do and how your planning to fish!!so we can help better..

boondox

Also forgot to say a suction cup mount or a clamp mount for the fish finder transduecer .. and a battery box like the genz blue box is always a great idea.. and a spare battery and maybe a inflatable pfd.. if they don't provide it?? 

joes spot

bug spray / and more bug spray old indian proverb no bugs no fish johnson spoons with some twister tail for pike/ troll stick baits and cranks to 15 fow for walleye once found jig for them they will come a lot faster buy the cheapest jigs you can find crappie jigs work well 10c apiece 1/8 to 3/8 you will lose a lot/ good rain gear  and rubber boots a must /wear in the heaviest clothes you have in to save on over weight

tracker2011

Thanks everyone for the info.. I am heading up to Caesar's North Camps that's in Quebec.  Float plane in on a lake that I have all to myself.  I guess I better ask more questions about treble hooks.  Didn't think of that one since spinners and such come with trebles.  I've been watching all the videos I can on youtube and watch shows like the nextbite.  I think I'm learning stuff.  I've never fished for Walleyes before but looks easy for lakes up there. 

taxid

Re: Anyone ever do a Canada fly in trip for Pike/Walleye's here?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Don't leave any trash behind. Americans are good at that.  >:(
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

whitewing

Re: Anyone ever do a Canada fly in trip for Pike/Walleye's here?
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:54 AM »
In addition to the bug spray bring a head net an and extra one .A therm a cell wouldn't hurt either. Never under estimate north country BUGS!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.