MFF US Northeast > New Hampshire

Landlock Salmon

(1/5) > >>

Cider:
Ice is starting to get soft and thoughts are turning towards opening day of salmon season!  Anybody out there have any tips they would like to share for trolling for these awesome fish?

I like to use small (2" or so) emeralds on light monofilament just after ice-out.  I don't use weights or leaders or anything.  Just tie a snell knot for my hook and rig the shiner up through the head.  Just a slow troll in the uppermost five feet of surface water usually produces some good hits.

I also troll smelt pattern streamer flies on sinking line with my 5/6 weight rod.  I use a good 12' long leader so the line won't spook the fish.

Once the water starts to warm up and the fish move deeper, I switch to lead-core or downriggers.

What does everyone else do?

FLAG:
pretty much the same as you do. I use streamers more than live bait. Where do oyu get Emeralds around New Hampshire? Do you fish WINNI???

Cider:

--- Quote from: FLAG on Mar 05, 2004, 12:04 PM ---pretty much the same as you do. I use streamers more than live bait. Where do oyu get Emeralds around New Hampshire? Do you fish WINNI???

--- End quote ---

Emeralds from Steve's bait shop in Hartland, VT.  (can I say that on here? not sure about advertisements, I don't have any stake in the business though...)

I don't fish Winni during the openwater.  I do fish it through the ice.  I fish Pleasant lake in Elkins/New London.  I really want to fish Winni this year, but I sold my boat and all I have is a 16' Old Town canoe.

My father-in-law has a 14 foot boat with a couple of downriggers.  Probably going to try to get him to go a couple of times.  That is a 2 hour drive for us.  Might even try Champlain as it is about the same distance.  Out-of-state license needed there though...

Cider:
Oh, forgot....

Doesn't AJ's have emeralds?  I thought we bought some there for the Rotary derby on Winni this year?!? ???

Cider:
Lake Sunapee is ok too and somewhat accessible with a canoe...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version