FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What size spoons are the most popular for trolling lakers  (Read 5792 times)

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
Hey all you hardcore laker. togue and salmon trollers....can you guys tell me what size (length) spoons do you use most of the season, and are they silver or copper. Like Michigan stingers, johnson spoons etc. Or do you guys carry several sizes to match the hatch throughout the year? Or do you guys use flies behind dodgers or flashers more often? I just picked up and nice pair of cannon easytrolls for cheap (free actually)  ;D  and looking to get set up for trolling the salmonoid family this fall anyway if not before then. I'm just not sure of the terminal tackle and what all I should buy without having to buy everything to have my bases covered. Any help would be greatly appreciated

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
Re: What size spoons are the most popular for trolling lakers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2011, 05:42 PM »
any suggestions on size?

smitht7

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Average sawbellies are running in the 3 to 3 1\2 inch range. knowledge learned from checking the stomach contents of my local lakers and landlock's.

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Thank you ..that helps me deicde

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2011, 06:36 AM »
Here in Maine is use standard size Flash Kings and Mooselook Wobblers to catch average size togue 2-6 pounds.  Large flatfish catch the bigger ones but I haven't quite figured out how to catch them consistently yet.

Lake Raker

• SteveK
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2011, 07:27 AM »
I would go with stick baits over spoons, they're more versatile. We get more than half our lakers on sticks, but they work good for walleyes and salmon too. Keep an eye on ebay for bulk sales of what you're looking for, it's a good way to save cash.

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Thats what I was looking at for the spoons..bulk sale..I have a bunch of rapala tail dancers for walleye...do they work good for lakers and salmon also?

Lake Raker

• SteveK
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2011, 08:42 AM »
I've never use one, but in my experience lakers will hit almost anything if you have your depth and speed right. I don't do much salmon fishing, but when we do color and depth seem to be the real key.

seansean1444

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2011, 09:04 PM »
i caught a laker on a spoon from my kitchen that had a trebel hook attached to the back of it today haha! but i like the northern king spoons useually the 4inch size

Turnbuckle

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2011, 07:48 AM »
We do best on the mooselooks and dbs. They don't have to be really big to get action. For the larger ones we are using 3.5 to 4.5 inch spoons and laker takers. The suttom 44s work well too.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

gotabig1

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2011, 04:12 AM »
I like the copper mooselooks with a copper/silver flasher. Getting the proper depth and speed has been key to getting strikes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.