FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: whaler for trolling?  (Read 5733 times)

boondox

Re: whaler for trolling?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2018, 03:06 PM »
Don't think you can go wrong with a whaler??

porkpiehat

« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:37 PM »
T top is in the way for casting and offers very little protection plus 17 foot is kind of small for one.

I don't really understand why people say that my boat is too samll for a t top. the 170 is longer and wider than the classic 17' (more stable when at rest), and most of the t-tops made for it are lightweight and sized for the boat itself. It also provides rodholders, which would be useless when a bimini is up. What is the rationale?

Thanks

fishlessman

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2018, 08:34 AM »
I don't really understand why people say that my boat is too samll for a t top. the 170 is longer and wider than the classic 17' (more stable when at rest), and most of the t-tops made for it are lightweight and sized for the boat itself. It also provides rodholders, which would be useless when a bimini is up. What is the rationale?

Thanks

its fine for trolling setups, those that want to cast for bass its in the way.  extra rod storage, a place to mount planer board setups, keeps me out of the sun, all good things for a trolling boat

NewportMe

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2018, 12:50 PM »
The mills setup is great I have the Bimini and the front dodger for my 22' outrage. One other thing to consider is if you have a T-Top the boat may not fit into garage ( if that is an option )  I love my Whaler, the 17' was very stable for its size, but as the kids got larger so did the boat.

Bruce

porkpiehat

« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2018, 01:09 PM »
did you get the windshield piece also? Did you go with the Mills bimini or somehting more affordable?

boondox

« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Why not just put a radar arch/rod holders  on and have a canvas made to strech from the arch to front boat cleats  make sure to put a window in it .. if your trolling you can at least seak shade under the canvas could be cheaper then a Bimini??   cause some of those whalers have a high grab rail on front..to ware you could get under the canvas while trolling or at anchor to avoid sun..  reason I say canvas is you would need a window swen in but a tarp would do the same??  I would go center concel with a tight to the concel. Radar type arch put rod holders on the back of it for trolling. .   like for lead core and storage..  to get lead core rods up and arms length out of the way but leaves back of the boat un covered for trolling  just a suggestion  but could be very functional if done right.. so the arch be comes the prop up point or pole in a tent  so you can also attach to the gunaul or sides of the boat.. just depend what boat you get if you can do it??

porkpiehat

« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Why not just put a radar arch/rod holders  on and have a canvas made to strech from the arch to front boat cleats  make sure to put a window in it .. if your trolling you can at least seak shade under the canvas could be cheaper then a Bimini??   cause some of those whalers have a high grab rail on front..to ware you could get under the canvas while trolling or at anchor to avoid sun..  reason I say canvas is you would need a window swen in but a tarp would do the same??  I would go center concel with a tight to the concel. Radar type arch put rod holders on the back of it for trolling. .   like for lead core and storage..  to get lead core rods up and arms length out of the way but leaves back of the boat un covered for trolling  just a suggestion  but could be very functional if done right.. so the arch be comes the prop up point or pole in a tent  so you can also attach to the gunaul or sides of the boat.. just depend what boat you get if you can do it??

the radar arch is an interesting idea. i already bought a 2003 Montauk 170 center console with no bimini or t top. Some kind of shade will be necessary as will some eisenglass; it is too open for cold windy days and a wet ride in general. I bought this thing thinking it could be draped over a t-top in whole or at least some components to act as a dodger and windshield. Check it out:

http://www.alekoproducts.com/BWTENT420G-Winter-Canopy-Boat-Tent-Gray-p/bwtent420g-ap.html

porkpiehat

« Reply #22 on: Mar 23, 2018, 06:10 PM »
that being said, a t-top would limit my striper/saltwater fishing.

NewportMe

« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2018, 10:15 AM »
I have the Mills, it was on the boat when i bought it. I do not have the windshield or side skirts for the canvas, just the bimini and dodger. I rarely use the dodger, and if it is cold we just layer up. I have the bimini up most of the time for sun and rain protection.

Bruce

woodchip1

« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2018, 06:44 PM »
My 18' StarCraft center console and galvanized trailer elec winch needs floor  boards and motor has a Bimini top To big for me $2500.oo by it today.

METOVT

« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2018, 09:18 AM »
I had an 18.5' Wahoo Offshore with 150 mariner. Trolled in ocean and lakes. It was a center console with a windshield and also had 3/4 enclosed canvas. It boated its fair share of fish. It was a heavy boat but in rough water you would not want to sit in the bow. Even with the pad it made for a rough ride!

woodchip1

« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Mine has a 75 susuki  It has worked well for 25 yrs, But needs a started and its too costly a repair for an older motor so I plan to sell the whole unit

fishlessman

« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Mine has a 75 susuki  It has worked well for 25 yrs, But needs a started and its too costly a repair for an older motor so I plan to sell the whole unit
  rebuilt starters are about a hundred bucks, the rebuild shop near me usually has a couple on the shelf and just turns them over when you bring your old starter in

woodchip1

« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I was told a bit more nearer a grand, That's why I want out.

Mac Attack

« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Not sure if this will fit yours -

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/starter-suzuki-marine-outboard-50hp-60hp-75hp-85hp.html

In any event..........a grand!!!

:w00t:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.