FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 558802 times)

Bartman44

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3795 on: Jun 05, 2023, 02:39 PM »
Nice going, fly looks fishy for sure.

I haven't been out in 2 weeks but hope to get the boat out for some pannies in the morning. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3796 on: Jun 05, 2023, 03:37 PM »
Yeah…they were short hitting on top water and my go to flies. Put that ion and it was game on. A good couple hours after work this morning.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #3797 on: Jun 05, 2023, 06:55 PM »
Got-em today     Started out searching for fish as they had vanished from last time's spot. Found them by jigging with the ultralight in 14 fow and they seemed stuck to the bottom. Immediately switched reels to go to a sinking line and tied on this crazy bug with beaded eye balls that sinks well. RG knows what it is - maybe a dragon fly larva ? Don't know how deep I got but enough to get the attention of a few. With 8 keepers in the box the wind was cranking, and this novice could not put a fly anywhere near where he wanted. I switched back to the ultra light and some gulp alive fish fry to finish with a limit.  This stuff is fun.   Also tried trolling for walleye earlier but only 1 short one.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #3798 on: Jun 06, 2023, 07:15 AM »
Nice, Don!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3799 on: Jun 08, 2023, 02:10 PM »
Tested some flies this morning. They only wanted top water stuff. Some were small. But they hit hard. Fun stuff on the 2 wt.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #3800 on: Jun 08, 2023, 03:41 PM »
Got-em today     Started out searching for fish as they had vanished from last time's spot. Found them by jigging with the ultralight in 14 fow and they seemed stuck to the bottom. Immediately switched reels to go to a sinking line and tied on this crazy bug with beaded eye balls that sinks well. RG knows what it is - maybe a dragon fly larva ? Don't know how deep I got but enough to get the attention of a few. With 8 keepers in the box the wind was cranking, and this novice could not put a fly anywhere near where he wanted. I switched back to the ultra light and some gulp alive fish fry to finish with a limit.  This stuff is fun.   Also tried trolling for walleye earlier but only 1 short one.

That's awesome! That's what I hope to be doing on my vacation in less than a week.

I know of a reservoir where they aren't even listed as species, they are big enough to straighten fine wire hooks, and large enough it's tough to just pull them straight in.  Most of the locals would rather catch a 10 inch stocked trout over a 10 inch bluegill, which is fine with me.

It will probably be strictly catch and release as I have plenty of fish in one of my private ponds to eat, and I don't want to stink up the Airbnb I'm staying at if I deep fried.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

62 & Done

« Reply #3801 on: Jun 08, 2023, 05:30 PM »
Thats my kind of reservoir

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3802 on: Jun 10, 2023, 08:31 AM »
Not much more fun than bluegills on a fly.

oatkasut

« Reply #3803 on: Jun 10, 2023, 11:52 AM »
Just returned from the Catskills, fishing the Willow and the Upper Beaverkill. Hatches on the 'kill were major from 3-8:30PM getting all trout on dries including  BW olives, sulfurs, iso emergers, p- black and tan  caddis,  griffith's gnat, Adams. On Wednesday afternoon the sun was one orange ball behind all the smoke. got over 30, biggest about 15 inches, missing countless fish . Water cool at 58 but very low and in need of rain BADLY!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3804 on: Jun 10, 2023, 06:34 PM »
oat  nice  report  glad you had a great time
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

62 & Done

« Reply #3805 on: Jun 12, 2023, 05:43 PM »
  Another rough day today. Went to my favorite water with all intentions of spending a few hrs tossing a fly. As usual, I devoted the first 3 hrs of daylight pulling the lead core in search of walleye. At 8 am with 4 in the box I switched gears and broke out the fly box, and headed for the Gill spots. Then it started , the wind. Dam it !  I spent more time untangling, retying, sorting messes , and doing a lot of cursing.  I'm glad there are no rules about cursing in the middle of the lake. I'm glad I didn't wreck any thing other than my high hopes. I've decided that any wind will cancel any intentions of fishing with the fly pole. At least for this old fart. Was really disappointed that I had to give it up. I managed to save the day with the ultralight and came home with a nice batch of gills as well as the 4 eyes.
  Now it's back to watching the weather and waiting for a "good" day.

SHUCKS !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3806 on: Jun 13, 2023, 12:39 PM »
So I decided I was in a rut. Been so happy fishing my 3 wt for gills that I’m ignoring other opportunities.

So…..I’m going to fish every fly rod in my collection. One each day I can for different species. That’ll take 16 days if all goes well with the weather. I’m hoping it warms up a bit and the creeks don’t go to crazy with the rains this week.

gotagetm

« Reply #3807 on: Jun 13, 2023, 01:30 PM »
Good luck bob!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3808 on: Jun 13, 2023, 01:41 PM »
Thanks. Pulled one rod off the shelf that I built in 2012. A TFO Axiom, 9’ 5 wt. I never really got along with that rod. Took it out in the yard for some practice. Tried a WF5F, a DT5F and a DT6F. The DT 6F cast like a bullet. Think I could cast a full line with it.

It’ll get its turn.

myemmy

« Reply #3809 on: Jun 13, 2023, 02:33 PM »
Rod builders can you add a butt extension to a fly rod, and is it easy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.