FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: December.....The Best Fishing of 2021  (Read 1778 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
December.....The Best Fishing of 2021
« on: Jan 01, 2022, 04:01 PM »
First off, Happy New Year and I hope 2022 is a great one for you all!

Although 2021 was overall lackluster for fishing results, December couldn't have been more the opposite.  My first trip was to a well-known lake location.  I did well with rainbows for the first few hours.

The weather that day was the sleet and freezing rain that we've often seen this month.  Normally, a day like that during the week would provide some solitude, but not this year.  When I checked the spot a few days later in even worse weather, I was surprised to find a fair amount of foot traffic and a boat anchored in the middle a shallow gravel bar that most folks wade.

But, hey, perfectly legal and they were there first.  So, I'm giving them a shout out and a super star award for helping me to refocus my efforts on lesser pressured options.  I broke big river options into manageable pieces, caught a bunch of fish, and learned a ton.  And most of the time I was alone, except for eagles who were as bald as me.  The icy weather continued though most of the month.  A wading staff and cleats kept me away from any tumbles requiring orthopedic intervention.  I also didn't need any professional towing service for the Silver Beauty until New Year's Eve ;D

The big river fishing was epic.  I came up with 5 different species of salmonids, including 4 species in one day ( a personal best)  8).  Included in the mix were some solid splake, another PB for size of that species in a river.  The pics aren't great, with one of the bigger ones being a blur as it leaped away.

Browns and brookies dominated the big river catch.  Not giant by any means, but not dinks either.  The few salmon I caught in the bigger water were small, but colorful.

Many days ended with fog at dark as the damp air cooled down, giving a nice effect to the pics.

Fishing a jig under a bobber  was key to the action, and you'll see from the pics that a chartreuse jig was particularly effective.  Chucking and retrieving spinners or spoons in the cold water was not the way to go.

I also put in some time for lake run fish during the month.  It was much more hit and miss than usual, but there were some good bursts of action on both salmon and browns.  Flows were up and down, leading to anything from flooded marshes to interesting ice as the water dropped.

Sorry if I've rambled a bit here and loaded up the photos, but some of the best fishing I've seen in 60 years has me a bit excited.

I hope January is half as good as December in spots where tracks are few except for the deer.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
Re: December.....The Best Fishing of 2021
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2022, 02:36 AM »
Very impressive Jim. Kinda crazy December was your best month of fishing out of the whole year haha. Those bows sure made it fun for an hour or two of fishing 😁

Bartman44

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:23 AM »
Great collection of fish and pics. I passed a lake yesterday and there were guys out in a small boat fishing. Normally iced over by now. 

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2022, 10:11 AM »
Was waiting for this report, that big male rainbow is sweet, what a stud! congrats.  Laughed at the "star" part/picture.  Unreal action this time of year... even for your high standards...  at least one of us was catching fish in December!  :P

I have a very good guess where your big river action came from (don't worry, too far for me!  ;D), pretty soon you'll be catching monsters out of there if you keep it up.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2022, 08:10 AM »
Dang Jim! That's what putting in work will get ya! Only needed two more species for that Maine Salmonid septet completion

caught_the_fever

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2022, 09:36 AM »
Happy New Year, Jim, great report, and hope all is well.   The fishing must have been fantastic if you're achieving personal bests!  Also, I had a pretty good laugh with your introduction of the super star award. 

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2022, 01:37 PM »
I have a very good guess where your big river action came from (don't worry, too far for me!  ;D), pretty soon you'll be catching monsters out of there if you keep it up.

Duh, it's obviously the Presumpscot. Probably right at rt 35... :laugh:

iceman260

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2022, 03:44 AM »
Nice pics, looks like some great fishing.

fish wayniac

« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2022, 05:50 AM »
Hi Jim, I hadn’t logged in on this site for a while and figured you had a post. You had a great month of fishing . Lots of nice fish in cold waters to wade and cast in. Good job!🥶🎣

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2022, 09:47 AM »
As always, I appreciate the comments! 8)

I'm glad I got on the board for January with a big day on the 5th.  From the looks of the weather and other stuff going on, it may be a bit before I see those fishy conditions again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.