FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mooring Question  (Read 4071 times)

bassin212

Mooring Question
« on: Jun 12, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Hi Everyone, seeking your advice. So I will be mooring my boat for the first time. I've seen it out on the water a million times, but have never physically used one or put one together. I have a 15.5ft Aluminum Sea Nymph. Any tips or words of wisdom? I have looked into the different types of anchor systems

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Constructing-a-Permanent-Mooring

but wanted peoples feedback. It will be in a protected area, not sure how deep the mooring will be yet, but hoping I can do it fairly shallow as I will probably have to remove my trolling motor battery in and out of the boat to charge it. Seems as though most of the lake is fairly sandy, but need to review the location.

thanks!

Johnnh

Re: Mooring Question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2019, 02:13 PM »
First step is to apply for a mooring permit

You will need and auto bilge pump and or scupper

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2019, 03:25 PM »

I second this!
Also, you can buy solar powered battery chargers for your trolling motor.

Digs

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:17 PM »
What's a mooring permit? I'm not a boat owner and do not know the regs...... I do have a buddy that moors his boat on two different lakes and it's free. Some lakes you have to pay and be put on a waiting list he said.

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:41 PM »
I second this!

Use it on the batteries though.

;D

bassin212

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2019, 09:40 PM »
All great suggestions. should I pour concrete or go with a Mushroom Anchor?

bassin212

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2019, 09:42 PM »
also, probably a dumb question. I will have to look up the current bilge I have, but can I just buy a float or would I have to buy a whole new bilge and float?

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2019, 09:54 PM »
I second this!
Use it on the batteries though.

;D
I didn't word it very well, did I Mac?  ;)
Almost changed it in the beginning but was rushing off.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2019, 03:44 AM »

Get two.  One is always stuck, has something caught in it, not working for whatever reason.........when you need it most.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

bikrsrule

swnoel

Roccus

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2019, 07:19 AM »
When you apply for the mooring permit they may stipulate what you can use, some watersheds do not allow cement moorings,other towns don't allow mushroom anchors for moorings, each town is different. ..
I've tried the solar panel solution, it never worked well for me..it's been awhile, I know the panels have gotten better.
Lastly, Atwood makes a pump/ float bilge pump that is hard to beat, I've got 2 in my boat, both are over 5 years old, they even have a test button to test that the float is operating.. keep in mind, that small pieces of mono. Can bugger these up pretty good,  so don't drop your cut tag ends on the floor..

bassin212

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2019, 07:56 AM »
So here is a little background: It is a lake surrounded by a Condo Association, since I am now apart of that association I was trying to find ways to keep my boat on or near the water without storing it at a facility.

My Options:
1. Dock Slip (waitlist)
2. Beach Storage ( 15.5ft might be too big they're not sure?)
3. Options 1 and 2 both cost money annually. Option 3 was Mooring. There response was "we don't own the lake so you can moor your boat as long as you provide your own mooring".

I need to follow up and figure out details of where exactly I am allowed to moor it, what kind of bottom, and if I need a permit.

This beginning of this post was just more to see if anyone has DIY some moorings and what has worked. Something I didn't think of were the solar panel for the battery. Anyone have luck with this recently? and then the Bilge and Float and scupper.

Depending on how shallow they allow me to moor it I can either walk out to the boat, kayak out, or use a small dingy I have.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Do yourself a favor and do not buy a float type auto bilge pump/switch. Get an electronic (no moving parts) field effect switch/pump. They are somewhat more expensive but I have not had one fail on me yet, unlike mechanical float type switches which are all garbage in my opinion.

Here is an example: https://www.mavikmarine.com/bilge-pumps-c-328_354/marpac-bilge-pump-auto-600gph-p-13281.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6IfoBRCiARIsAF6q06vjGGApGDskTEIE72nhg5-R7R8FjwAsfzz9BUAJEiPQferFJOJY9-IaAoy3EALw_wcB

PIKEBAIT

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2019, 07:44 PM »
Hard to imagine a permanent legal mooring for such a small boat.  Leave it on the trailer and launch it on your lake or any of the other lakes nearby.   I belong to a lake association on Champlain but I prefer to leave my Starcraft on the trailer and launch at a variety of locations.
Just what I find is the most practical.
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.